Whether served as a salad or as a cold dish, this filling and satisfying Chickpea and Codfish Salad is a fantastic summer dish.
Have you ever wondered what the exact definition of “salad” is?
Salads are the most versatile of foods. Practically any cold (?) dish with a raw ingredient seems to qualify for the title. It is this flexibility that makes it the best part of meals for me. Or, as in this case, it makes it the whole meal.
As a child, I don’t remember chickpeas commonly being consumed in our home, except for in the occasional stew. I think it has something to do with chickpeas not being as well adapted the climate and soil of the Dominican Republic as other types of beans and legumes.
As of lately, chickpeas have turned into one of my favorite ingredients, and this salad is my to go salad to go with a fancy meal, or to serve as a main dish on those hot summer days when one has to escape cooking duty and has an appetite for something light.
Another advantage of this chickpea and codfish salad is that the part that is cooked (boiling the chickpeas and codfish) has to be done the previous night when the temperature is lower. The next day it is just a matter of mixing everything together and serving. And if you have leftovers, they can be served the following day without problems.
Chickpea and Codfish Salad – Recipe & Video
- 1 lb [0.45 kg] of salted dry codfish
- 6 cups of dry chickpeas , boiled soft
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1 cup of rice vinegar
- 1 large onion , cut into thin strips
- 1/4 cup of chopped parsley
- 2 bell peppers , cut into small cubes
- 1 teaspoon of salt (or more, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper (or more, to taste)
- Soak the codfish in plenty of water for an hour.
- Remove from the water and rinse under running water.
- Boil the codfish in plenty of fresh water until it is tender.
- Remove from the water and cool down to room temperature.
- Shred into small pieces.
- Mix the codfish, chickpeas, oil, vinegar, onions, parsley and bell pepper.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and let it rest in the fridge overnight.