Try this Higado Encebollado recipe (Liver with Onions); if you like liver, you will certainly love this flavorful Dominican version.
Let me start by warning you that liver is verboten in this home, I even had to wait until my husband was out of the country to test this recipe. Since I needed some “testers” to try this Higado Encebollado (Liver with Onions), I drafted Lucas (Aunt Ilana’s 10-year old son) and Nadia (my five-year-old).
They ate it all, and if you get two kids to eat a plateful of liver it had to have been seriously good.
Liver seems to be an acquired taste, and there doesn’t seem to be any middle ground when it comes to it. People either hate it or love it.
If you are in the “like it” camp” then you will certainly like hígado encebollado.
It is easy to prepare, very quick, tender and flavorful.
And while in regards to its nutritious properties liver is a mixed bag: loads of vitamins A, D, E, K, B12, folic acid, copper, and iron, but it also contains a fairly large amount of cholesterol. The advantages, though, are bigger than the disadvantages. If you can get your children to eat it, you should feed them liver. It a veritable super-food.
Higado Encebollado Recipe (Liver with Onions)
- 2 lb [0.9 kg] of liver
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper (or more, to taste)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt (or more, to taste)
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil (soy, peanut, or corn)
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 red bell peppers , cut into thin strips
- 3 large white onions , cut into very thin rings
- 1/2 cup of water
- Cut the liver into thin slices (it helps if the liver is partially frozen).
- Season the liver with a teaspoon of salt, and a pinch of pepper.
- In a pot heat the oil over medium heat, pour in the sugar and heat until it turns a brown color. Add liver, cook and stir the liver until it changes colors on both sides (about 1 minute). Add the peppers, and onions. Cook and stir for 3 minutes or until onion becomes translucent. Add 1/2 cup of water and cook over high heat for 3 more minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately.