Grilled shrimp with unripe mangos are the new taste of summer! You'll love this simple salad that will brighten your BBQ day.
Before mango season is over I wanted to bring you this recipe for mango and shrimp salad.
Every Dominican has an opinion on which is the best mango cultivar: banilejos, puyitas, injertos, etc. Truth is if you have never tried a ripe mango in our country you have missed much in your life. I find mangoes imported into non-mango growing areas to be very lacking in flavor and juiciness.
But even if you're not lucky enough to live in an area where mangos are grown, this recipe is a lifesaver because you don't need ripe mangoes!
About this recipe
Even though this is not a traditional Dominican salad, it's inspired by a Dominican children's favorite: eating green mango with salt, straight from the tree.
For this salad, I have chosen to use mangos that are halfway between ripe and green, what we Dominicans call "acojolado". This way the sweetness of the mango does not overpower the flavors of the other ingredients.
Can you think of any other salad that spells tropical summer like this? You really oughta try it.
[Recipe + Video] Mango and Shrimp Salad
For the shrimp
- 2 teaspoons of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- ½ teaspoon of sugar, (optional)
- ½ teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 doz of jumbo shrimp, peeled
- 2 cups of mango, cut into strips or cubes
- 1 medium-size head of iceberg or green leaf lettuce, shredded
- 1½ doz cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
For the dressing
- ½ teaspoon of brown sugar, (optional)
- 2 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon of salt, (or more, to taste)
- Seasoning shrimp: Mix vinegar, oil, sugar, and chili powder. Mix well.Add the shrimps and marinate for an hour in the fridge.
- Grilling shrimp: Heat a stovetop grill or BBQ over high heat and grill shrimp until they turn pink on one side, turn and repeat. If you wish you can cut the shrimps into small pieces, or serve them whole.
- Mixing dressing: Mix sugar, vinegar, oil and salt to taste. Set aside.
- Serving: Mix mango, lettuce and tomatoes. Arrange the shrimp on top.Accompany the salad with dressing.