This rich and creamy dish of Potatoes with Parsley and Paprika Sauce is the perfect side dish to serve with grilled meat or fish.
Why we ❤️ it
Today is our last day in Denmark, tomorrow we start the long trip home, and even though I miss my country's food it is not less true that one of the reasons why I enjoy my visits to Denmark has to do with food. Good food.
And I count Potatoes with Parsley Sauce as one of those.
Just as rice is the base of our cuisine, potatoes are the base of Danish cuisine. They are served from the most humble to the royal table.
This recipe is based on an old Danish recipe that I learned from my mother in law (one of the best cooks I have ever met) and it is also one of my favorites. Some of the changes I have made involve using milk instead of heavy cream, vegetable oil instead of butter, and adding carrots to make this dish lighter. I hope you like it, I know I love it.
Potatoes with Parsley and Paprika Sauce Recipe
- 2 pound [0.9 kg] potatoes
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt, , divided
- 2 large carrots
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil, (canola, corn or peanut)
- 1 large red onion, , cut into slices (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk (whole or skim)
- 4 tablespoon curly parsley, , finely minced
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (freshly-cracked, or ground)
- Boil potatoes and carrots (unpeeled, washed) until they are cooked-through but firm, having added 1 teaspoon of salt to the water for boiling.
- Remove from the water and peel. Cut the potatoes into quarters and the carrots into thick slices.
- In a saucepan heat the oil, over high heat.
- Add the carrots and potatoes and cook and stir for two minutes.
- Set the heat to low. Add the onion and cook and stir until the onions are translucent.
- Add the flour and mix thoroughly, be careful that the mix doesn't burn.
- Add the milk , parsley and paprika and stir until the mix is uniform. Boil over very low heat until you obtain a rich sauce.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- This dish is best served with grilled meat or fish.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.