For a lazy weekend, this is the perfect dish, Oven-Cooked Rice with Chorizo is quick, easy and tasty. Add more of your favorite vegetables if you want.
Summer is back. And with summer, for me, comes a laziness that borders on ennui, lethargic days in which I get annoyed by small things all too easy. I'd rather spend my days trying to avoid the heat, and the kitchen is usually one of my least favorite places.
I know, shocking. But I still have to cook to feed myself, and my family.
I am always looking for those dishes that require the bare minimum of effort and time in the kitchen, while still being tasty and comforting. This is one of those.
Oven-Cooked Rice with Chorizo has become one of my to-go dishes on the weekends when my family expects to be fed and I am not in much of a mood for spending lots of time in the kitchen. It all goes into the oven and while it cooks I can relax and avoid the kitchen heat, then serve a tasty meal all in one pot.
Oven-Cooked Rice with Chorizo
- 2 cups of long-grain rice
- 1 lb [0.45 kg] of chorizo (Spanish sausage), sliced
- 1 large carrot , sliced
- 2 large tomatoes cut into eighths
- 1 bell pepper , cubed
- 1 onion cut into eighths
- 1 stalk of celery , sliced
- 1 dozen pitted olives
- ½ cup of sweet peas
- 1 sprig of fresh cilantro (coriander)
- 1 teaspoon of paprika or annatto (bija)
- 3 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon of salt (or more to taste)
- Preheat oven to 350ºF [170ºC].
- Place the raw rice on the bottom of the casserole in a uniform layer. Place the slices of chorizo on top, then carrot, tomato, pepper, onion, celery, olives, peas and cilantro (in the order listed).
- Pour the vegetable stock into a pot and mix with the paprika. Heat the vegetable stock until it breaks a boil. Season the stock with salt to taste.
- Pour the stock on the rice. Cover the casserole with a tight-fitting lid and bake for 45 minutes. Remove the casserole from the oven, uncover and stir. If the rice is not cooked throughout cover again and return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with salad of your choice.