A great substitute for our traditional stodgier one, this potato salad is lighter and much healthier all around.
| Lee en Español |
The good thing about this season’s celebrations is that it spares no segment of our country. At least everyone celebrates New Year’s Eve with a feast fitting their budget.
But let’s not forget those with alimentary restrictions, be them because of religious, ethical or health reasons. And especially for those looking for a lighter alternative to some of our favorite dishes, this Lighter Potato Salad is an excellent option.
This is one of those recipes, based on a favorite, which comes from half a world away, and that I have modified to fit the diet of readers who have asked for something like this. The tastes are different, but it is a very delicious salad on its own.
Instead of whole eggs, I have discarded the yolks, and instead of mayo, I have used a light vinaigrette. If you are looking for the traditional version of this salad you can find it here.
Healthy “Russian” Potato Salad – Recipe & Video
- 2 eggs
- 3 large potato , peeled
- 1 large carrot , peeled
- 1 small red onion (optional)
- 1 cup of hot boiling-water
- 1/2 cup of green peas , blanched
- 1 small apple
- 1/3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of finely-crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup of rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt (or more, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper (or more, to taste)
- Boil the eggs, potatoes and carrot until the latter is tender.
- Remove eggs, potatoes and carrot from the water and cool to room temperature.
- Cut the onion into very small cubes, add hot water and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove the onion from the water and discard water.
- Peel the eggs and discard the yolks.
- Peel the potatoes and carrot.
- Dice the potatoes, carrot, eggs and apple.
- Mix the potato, carrot, egg, apple, onion and peas.
- In a separate bowl mix oil, garlic, vinegar and mustard. Whisk until well-mixed.
- Add the dressing to the salad, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.