A great substitute for our traditional stodgier one, this potato salad is lighter and much healthier all around.
The good thing about this season’s celebrations is that it spares no segment of our country. At least everyone celebrates New Year’s Eve with a feast fitting their budget.
But let’s not forget those with alimentary restrictions, be them because of religious, ethical or health reasons. And especially for those looking for a lighter alternative to some of our favorite dishes, this Lighter Potato Salad is an excellent option.
This is one of those recipes, based on a favorite, which comes from half a world away, and that I have modified to fit the diet of readers who have asked for something like this. The tastes are different, but it is a very delicious salad on its own.
Instead of whole eggs, I have discarded the yolks, and instead of mayo, I have used a light vinaigrette. If you are looking for the traditional version of this salad you can find it here.
Healthy “Russian” Potato Salad – Recipe & Video
- 2 eggs
- 3 large potato , peeled
- 1 large carrot , peeled
- 1 small red onion (optional)
- 1 cup of hot boiling-water
- 1/2 cup of green peas , blanched
- 1 small apple
- 1/3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon of finely-crushed garlic
- 1/2 cup of rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt (or more, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper (or more, to taste)
- Boil the eggs, potatoes and carrot until the latter is tender.
- Remove eggs, potatoes and carrot from the water and cool to room temperature.
- Cut the onion into very small cubes, add hot water and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Remove the onion from the water and discard water.
- Peel the eggs and discard the yolks.
- Peel the potatoes and carrot.
- Dice the potatoes, carrot, eggs and apple.
- Mix the potato, carrot, egg, apple, onion and peas.
- In a separate bowl mix oil, garlic, vinegar and mustard. Whisk until well-mixed.
- Add the dressing to the salad, season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.