Bring your BBQ meats to a whole new level of tastiness with this sweet and spicy rum BBQ sauce. You'll love the tropical, Caribbean goodness of your new parrillada favorite.
I love rum-based sauces with grilled meats. There is a deep, smoky, grownup taste to it that makes cookouts way more enjoyable.
If you are looking to add an easy-to-make homemade BBQ sauce for your parrillada, this will become your new favorite.
I have combined sweet, spicy, and smoky flavors and the depth of Dominican rum in a sauce that can be used to garnish grilled meats, or brushed in before grilling them to caramelize the sauce and make it richer.
About this recipe
I normally use dark rum for the sauce but have also used white in a pinch and I liked both. Use the rum you have at hand.
[Recipe + Video] Spicy and Sweet Rum BBQ sauce
- ½ cup tomato sauce
- ½ tablespoon garlic salt
- ½ teaspoon of chili flakes
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup of rum
- 2 tablespoons smoke liquid, (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Making the sauce: Mix all the ingredients for the sauce. It should be a thick sauce, but if it turns out to liquid (it depends on the tomato sauce you use), heat over medium heat to reduce to desired consistency stirring constantly to prevent it from sticking and burning.
- Serving: Serve alongside BBQ meats, or brush on the meat before grilling to caramelize and deepen the flavors.
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.