These tostones cups stuffed with avocado and shrimp are sure to raise the flavor to the next level at your gathering with these cute bites that are exploding with great flavors.
These tostones rellenos remind me that maybe we should get a slogan, and if we do I have just the perfect one: Keeping spouses happy since 2001!
Plantain cups are the perfect dish both for snacking in front of the TV watching our favorite show, a favorite televised sports event with family or friends or for home parties.
I must clarify that I did not come up with the idea of these little cups; in fact, I've tried it in several restaurants, usually filled with crab meat, and on at least one occasion with avocado and onions. This particular combination, however, is of my own making.
These are also a fantastic, easier alternative to traditional mofongo. I can't convey to you just how tasty these are.
About this recipe
For this recipe, you can use either unripe bananas or plantains. Plantains would be the more traditional choice (they are easier to work with and yield better-looking cups), but my experiment using green bananas turned surprisingly delicious; the taste and texture are pretty different than if using plantains.
And to make it worth your while, this recipe does not require a special plantain masher. You can do it with a tool you're likely to find in your kitchen already.
[Recipe + Video] Mofonguitos - Avocado and Shrimp Tostones Rellenos
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed into paste
- 2 dozen shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon pepper, (or more, to taste), cantidad dividida
- 2 teaspoons salt, (or more, to taste), cantidad dividida
- 1½ cup oil for frying
- 4 plantains, (or unripe bananas), peeled, cut into 1" [2.5 cm slices]
- 1 large avocado
- Juice of 1 lime
- Cilantro for garnishing, (optional)
- Cooking the shrimp: Heat the olive oil over very low heat. Add the garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Do not let the garlic burn.Add the shrimp and cook until they are pink all over. Season with salt and pepper to taste.Remove from heat and set aside.
- Frying plantains: Heat the frying oil over medium heat (175 ºC [350 ºF]).Fry each slice until light golden brown (about 5 minutes). Press the slices with a lemon squeezer to form small cups.Once all the cups are formed, fry them again over medium heat until they turn golden brown.
- Mashing the avocado: Peel avocado and crush using a fork until it doesn't have any lumps. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the lime juice.
- Assembling: Spoon about tablespoons of avocado mix into the cups.Top each with a shrimp and garnish with cilantro leaves.Serve immediately.