These Plantain Cups with Avocado and Shrimp are sure to raise the flavor to the next level at your gathering with these cute bites that are exploding with great flavors.
These Plantain Cups with Avocado and Shrimp remind me that maybe we should get a slogan, and if we do I have just the perfect one: Keeping spouses happy since 2001! This is a perfect dish both for snacking in front of the TV watching our favorite show, a favorite televised sports event with family or friends, or for home parties.
The easiest way
It is also a fantastic, easier alternative to traditional mofongo. I can't convey to you just how tasty these are. And to make it worth your while, this recipe does not require a special plantain masher. You can do it with a tool you're likely to find in your kitchen already.
About this recipe
I must clarify that I did not come up with the idea of these little cups; in fact, I've tried it in several restaurants, usually filled with crab meat, and on at least one occasion with avocado and onions. This particular combination, however, is of my own making.
For this recipe, you can use either unripe bananas or plantains. Plantains would be the more traditional choice (they are easier to work with and yield better-looking cups), but my experiment using green bananas turned surprisingly delicious; the taste and texture are pretty different than if using plantains.
Plantain Cups with Avocado and Shrimp Recipe
- 4 plantains (or unripe bananas)
- 1 cup oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 cloves of garlic , crushed into paste
- 20 jumbo shrimp , peeled
- 1 teaspoon of salt (or more, to taste)
- 1 large avocado
- Juice of 1 lime
- ¼ teaspoon of pepper (or more, to taste)
To make the cups
- Pre-heat oven to 200 F [100 ºC].
- Peel the bananas (or plantains). Cut into 6 slices each banana or 7 slices each plantain. Heat oil for frying over medium temperature.
- Fry each slice until they are golden brown all over. Squeeze the slices using a lemon squeezer forming small cups. Once all the cups are formed, fry them again over medium heat until all the light parts have turned golden brown.
- Turn off the oven and leave the cups in the oven while you go ahead to the next step.
For the shrimp
- Heat the olive oil over very low heat. Add the garlic and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Do not let the garlic burn. Add the shrimp and cook until they are pink throughout. Season with salt to taste.
- Remove from the heat and reserve.
For the avocado
- Peel avocado and crush using a fork until it doesn't have any lumps. Mix in the lime juice.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To assemble
- Spoon about tablespoon of avocado mix into the cups.
- Top each with a shrimp and garnish with cilantro leaves.
- Serve immediately.