Repollo guisado (cabbage stew) is a great side dish if you are vegan or vegetarian, and if not, it goes great with your choice of grilled meat.
How did you get here? Are you a cabbage-lover? Someone interested in eating better? Or were you looking for this Repollo Guisado recipe because you are a vegan or vegetarian? Well, then, lend me your ear...
For a significant period of my life, I was a vegan, later vegetarian living in the Dominican Republic. While things have improved, abstaining from meat wasn't particularly easy back then.
Eating out was often a challenge though, luckily, Dominican cooking offers many vegetarian-friendly choices if you know how to navigate our traditional cuisine. I am no longer a vegetarian, though I appreciate vegan and vegetarian cuisine all the better for my long stint as one.
About this recipe
This vegetarian cabbage stew saved my hide a few times. It's a great side dish if you are a vegan or vegetarian, and, if not, it goes great with your choice of grilled meat.
There may be some variation in the way Dominican cooks make this, but not significantly, although one of my very old Dominican cookbooks has it made with pork and lard, so if you make it in a different way, I'd love to hear it.
Repollo Guisado [+ Video] (Cabbage Stew)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, , cut into strips
- 1 clove of garlic, , crushed
- 1 bell pepper, , cut into strips
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ¼ head of cabbage, , shredded
- ¼ cup pitted olives, (optional)
- 1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar, or lime juice
- ⅓ cup of water
- 1 teaspoon of salt, (or more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon of hot sauce of your preference, (or more to taste)
- A handful of minced parsley or cilantro
- Sauteeing vegetables: Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir the onions and garlic until the onions become translucent. Add the bell pepper and tomatoes. Cook over low heat for 3 minutes. Add the tomato sauce.
- Cooking cabbage: Stir in the cabbage, olives, vinegar and water and simmer over very low heat until the cabbage is wilted (about 5 mins.).Season with salt and hot sauce to taste. Mix in parsley or cilantro.