Looking to try a new filling for your pastelitos, empanadas, or pastelones? This extra-flavorful, easy-to-make chorizo filling is just perfect.
We have several pastelón (casserole) and empanada fillings on the blog. From the classic minced beef empanadas to a vegan mince we highly recommend. But if you are looking for something special, whether you're making pastelitos, empanadas, pastelones, and even serve it as a standalone meat dish, this might be the one you were looking for.
The good thing about using this filling to stuff your empanadas or pastelitos is that you can also add extra ingredients as you wish. You can stuff empanadas with chorizo and potato, empanadas with chorizo and cheese, chorizo and egg empanadas empanadas.
See the recipe notes to learn how to modify the basic recipe.
About this recipe
For this recipe, I used Mexican-style chorizo. It is different from Spanish chorizo. The latter is a smoked, dried sausage, as opposed to Mexican chorizo which is a raw meat sausage.
The recipe yields enough for 4 servings as a standalone meat dish (it is great for this), or one pastelón. You may not need it all if you are just making a few pastelitos, but it surely won't go to waste.
[Recipe + Video] Chorizo Filling for Empanadas and Pastelones
- 1 lb Mexican-style chorizo sausages, [454g]
- 1 red onion, (medium-size, minced [65 g]
- 1 bell pepper, (diced [76g]
- ⅓ cup sliced pitted olives
- 1 cup tomato sauce, [115g]
- 1 sprig parsley, for garnish, chopped (optional)
Optional additions (pick one)
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, minced
- ½ cup diced boiled potatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, (or cheese of your preference
- Removing casing: Slice the casing with a knife and remove and discard the casings.
- Cooking meat: Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage. Cook stirring, breaking down the clumps, until the chorizo is browned and cooked through (about 7 minutes. Discard excess grease if you find it necessary (it wlil depend on the sausage you use).Stir in onion and cook and stir until it turns translucent. Add pepper and olives and cook stirring for a minute.Pour in tomato sauce and stir until it is heated through. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with parsley (optional)
- Using extra ingredients: For empanadas and pastelitos, you can mix in the minced boiled egg or the diced boiled potato. Alternatively, you can stuff empanadas with cheese and this chorizo stuffing.