One of my favorite beans, combined in a hearty fava beans and bacon salad that can be also served as a side dish, or a simple meal in itself.
This is a dish that had been a favorite of mine for a long time, even if I only make it when I can find some fresh fava beans, though I recently discovered that dried fava beans or canned fava beans are nearly equally as good, and they're much less work.
Cooking fava beans were part of my family tradition, we grew them in our backyard, but Dominicans mostly use them for moro (Dominican rice and beans).
What do fava beans taste like?" It is one of the mildest-tasting beans; it has a harder skin, but a creamy inside.
How to cook dried fava beans
Soak the beans for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. Change the water in which it soaked and boiled until the skin starts to become loose (this will depend on the freshness and quality of the beans and may take up to 40 minutes).
Remove the beans from the heat and discard the water. Let the beans cool to room temperature. Once cooled, press each bean between your thumb and finger to break out of the hard skin. Discard the skin.
About this recipe
This is not a recipe that is part of our traditional cookery, but all the ingredients are.
You can add extra ingredients if you prefer, and serve as a side dish, or as a summer-friendly dinner.
[Recipe] Fava Beans and Bacon Salad
- 8 oz bacon, [227 g]
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced thinly
- 4 cups boiled fava beans, peeled
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- ¼ cup apple vinegar
- 1½ teaspoon of salt, (or more, to taste)
- ½ teaspoon of pepper, (or more, to taste)
- Parsley for garnish, optional
- Browning the bacon: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and once heated add the bacon to it.Cook stirring until the edges are browned (3-5 minutes).
- Cooking the onion: Stir in the onion and cook stirring until the onion turns translucent (about 2 minutes).
- Cooking beans: Stir in the fava beans and bell pepper, and cook stirring until it is heated through (about 1 minute).Pour in the vinegar, and salt and cook stirring for another minute. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serving: Serve at room temperature, it goes perfect with our BBQ meats. Put extra vinegar on the table for those who prefer it more sour.Garnish with parsley.