Don't make dinner more complicated than it needs to be, this mildly spicy Cabbage and Minced Meat One-Pot Dinner Recipe is a very simple, quick and comforting dish.
Why we ❤️ it
Not every meal has to be a feast; sometimes we just need something quick, filling, comforting, nutritious, and easy to make. What I have here is precisely one of these dishes.
shamelessly stolen borrowed this dish from my mother-in-law, whom I have praised many times in this blog for her talent as a home cook (among her other skills). This is a dish that has become a family classic in her home, and now in mine, and one of my go-to easy dinner ideas.
About this recipe:
There are a couple of things I'd like you to keep in mind. The first is that, as I repeat in the recipe notes, "curry powder" has a very loose definition, with each brand/vendor having their own mix, and level of spiciness. I have tried it now with at least three different curry powders, and each one tastes different. The one I bought from the local supermarket was markedly milder, and required 4 tablespoons! to get the flavor I like. So keep that in mind, and start with a small amount and add until you find the flavor you like.
The cabbage should be a little wilted, but not mushy. It should be "al dente", so keep an eye on it and don't let it overcook.
Cabbage and Minced Meat with Curry One-Pot Dinner [+ Video]
- 60 ml olive oil, [4 tbsp]
- 453 grams minced beef, [1 lb]
- 1 tablespoon salt, (or more, to taste - divided)
- 1 teaspoon pepper (freshly-cracked, or ground), (or more, to taste - divided)
- 300 grams red onion, [2 large onions]
- 400 grams carrot, grated [1 large carrot]
- 453 grams cabbage, shredded [¼ head of cabbage]
- 4 tablespoon curry powder, (or more, to taste- divided)
- Herbs for garnish, (optional)
- Season meat: Season the minced meat with a teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of pepper.
- Brown meat: Heat oil over medium-high heat. Stir in meat and cook until all the liquid has evaporated, in the meantime break the clumps of meat with a spoon. Brown meat once the liquid has evaporated.
- Add vegetables: Stir in the onion and carrot, cook stirring until the onions have become translucent. Stir in the cabbage. Season with half the curry powder, stir. Simmer until the cabbage has wilted a bit, but it still has some crunch.Taste and season with salt, pepper or curry to your taste, stir. Remove from the heat.
- Serve: Garnish with herbs of your choice (optional), and serve hot.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.