This very easy recipe for Homemade Tomato Sauce from fresh tomatoes is perfect for those of us looking to eat better, and more natural ingredients.
Why we ❤️ it
This recipe for homemade tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes is one of our most popular in our "homemade" series.
When I first started writing recipes, a long time ago, I tried to make them the way most people cooked them at home, even though it wasn't the way I liked it or ate it.
Tomato sauce and tomatoes.
I used to list "tomato paste", even though I rarely used it at home. I either make my own homemade tomato sauce from scratch using fresh tomatoes or --the lazy way-- buy steamed-peeled, crushed tomatoes from the supermarket.
More from scratch homemade goodness
About this recipe
There are many advantages to making your own sauce, and one disadvantage. Amongst the advantages: it's easy to make, it's sugar-free, it's healthy. The one disadvantage: it requires a little more work than just opening a can or a jar. The good thing is that you can make as many portions as you want to freeze for later use.
This is perfect too as the base for tomato pasta sauce, just take it and add more seasonings to your taste.
This awesome free recipe contains Amazon affiliate links, we receive a small commission from any purchase you make at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
[Recipe + Video] Homemade Tomato Sauce
For the tomato sauce
- 10 pound tomato, [4.5 kg] rinsed and cubed
- 1 head of garlic, peeled
- 1 tablespoon oregano (dry, ground), (opcional, see notes)
- 1 tablespoon pepper (freshly-cracked, or ground), (opcional, see notes)
- 2 tablespoons bija (annato, achiote) powder, (opcional, see notes)
- 2 tablespoon salt, (opcional, see notes)
Make tomato sauce on the stove
- Cooking: In a large, heavy-bottomed pot heat the tomato over medium heat (do not add anything else). The tomato will begin to release liquid.Cook, stirring frequently (do not let it burn) until it reduces by half in volume (20 - 30 minutes).
Make tomato sauce in the oven
- Roasting: Place the tomato on one or several trays without piling the tomato. Bake in a preheated oven at 160 ºC [320ºF] for one hour, or until it has reduced by half in volume.
- Blend: Once reduced, remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.Pour into blender or food processor vase. Add the garlic, oregano, pepper, bija, and salt. Blend until you get the consistency you prefer.
- Storing: Pour into clean jars of about one cup each. Refrigerate the ones you will use within three days, freeze the rest.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutrition information.