Zucchini Noodles with Shrimp is an amazingly tasty and filling pasta substitute, perfect diabetics or anyone on a low-carb diet.
Why we ❤️ it
This is not the first time I post a zucchini noodle recipe. The fact that I post another recipe in a few years should be taken as an endorsement, weird as it sounds.
The reason why I like both of these recipes, besides tricking my brain into thinking that I am eating actual noodles, is that both recipes have ingredients with strong flavors. The first one Mambá, and this garlic.
About this recipe
This is a recipe that diabetics and people on low-carb diets will love. It's like a plateful of very tasty pasta, but without the guilt. Zoodles (zucchini noodles) are one of my favorite pasta substitutes. Of course, you can make this with actual pasta, spaghettini works best with it, just boil according to instructions on the package and add to the dish in lieu of zoodles.
Try it and let me know what you think.
[Recipe + Video] Zucchini Noodles with Shrimp
- 4 medium zucchini, [600 gr]
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 head of garlic, crushed [80 gr]
- 2 cup spinach, packed [100 gr]
- 2 doz shrimp (jumbo, uncooked, peeled), [600 gr]
- ½ cup chopped basil leaves, [20 gr]
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (freshly-cracked, or ground), (or more, to taste)
- ½ teaspoon salt, (or more, to taste)
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes, (or more, to taste - optional)
Shop this recipe
Click on the ingredient links to buy from my Amazon affiliate shop
- Making zucchini noodles: Chop and discard the ends of the zucchini. Slice with a potato peeler. Discard the top and bottom slices that are almost all peel. Arrange the slices one on top of the other, and cut into very fine strips with a knife. I also own this cutter (Amazon affiliate link) that makes making vegetable noodles a piece of cake.
- Cooking the shrimp: Heat oil over low heat. Add garlic and stir. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and cook for 5 minutes (make sure it does not burn). Stir in the spinach. Cover and cook until the spinach are a bit wilted (3-5 mins). Stir in the shrimp, followed by basil. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the shrimp start turning pink.
- Cooking the noodles: Add and stir noodles into the pan. Cover and simmer until the noodles are wilted but still "al dente" (1-3 mins). Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste if needed. Sprinkle with chili flakes to taste.
- Serving: Serve immediately, you don't need salad (plenty of greens in it), but some arugula and tomato go well with it, should you choose to serve a salad.
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.