Made of flavors borrowed from the Motherland, this White Beans (Cannellini) and Chorizo Stew is a perfect symphony of spices.
If you ever have a craving for a tasty, creamy, rich stew with strong flavors, this White Beans (Cannellini) and Chorizo Stew may just be what you need. There are spices galore in it.
No wonder Columbus risked life and limb in a dangerous adventure in his pursuit of spices. Our lives would be duller without them, and for enthusiastic food-lovers, nothing warms the cockles of our heart like a well-spiced dish.
About this recipe
This is a dish that is inspired by Spanish cuisine and a bit by Dominican bean stews like Sancocho de Habichuelas and Chambre, but for this, we're using a type of bean that is not the most common in Dominican cuisine and combining it with authentic Spanish chorizo.
And in the winter time is when this stew truly shines bright, warming our bones with its comforting flavors.
White Beans (Cannellini) and Chorizo Stew Recipe
- 2 cups of dry white beans
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 lb of chorizo (Spanish sausage) sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic , crushed
- 1 red bell pepper , diced
- 2 large potatoes , diced
- 1 large carrot , diced
- 1 red onion , diced
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 1½ teaspoon of salt (or more, to taste)
- ½ teaspoon of pepper (or more, to taste)
- Soak the beans: Add enough water to cover the beans and soak overnight, or at least a couple of hours.Remove the water and rinse the beans.
- Boil the beans: Add enough water to cover the beans and boil until very soft, adding water as needed to maintain the same level.It may take an hour or more in a regular pot, and up to 20 minutes in a pressure cooker. Separate the beans from the boiling water. Reserve both.
- Sautee: Heat 3 tablespoons of oil over low heat. Add the chorizo, potatoes, thyme, garlic, onion, bell pepper, and carrot.Cook stirring until the onions become translucent (3 to 5 minutes).
- Cook beans: Add the beans, raise the heat to medium and cook while stirring for one minute. Add the water in which the beans were boiled, if it is less than 1 liter add fresh water.Cook over medium heat until the vegetables are soft. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve: Remove from heat and serve with white rice.