An amazing dish with strong flavors, contrasting textures and is very easy to make. This spicy garlic shrimp recipe is our new family favorite.
Why we ❤️ it
If you've been around for a while you'll have probably noticed that for most of the summer we stick to summer-friendly recipes: Recipes that require only short cooking times, or even no cooking time at all.
I'm looking forward to that, so I couldn't wait to share this simple spicy shrimp recipe.
I've been working on this recipe for a while, and I didn't want to have to wait until after summer to post it. You really need to try this ASAP.
About this recipe
Every element in this dish can be traced directly back to traditional Dominican cuisine, but this one has a twist; it was also loosely inspired by Southern US Cuisine: Served over a bed of chenchén, a dish vaguely resembling grits, or polenta, but with a decidedly tropical flair. I said vaguely, you'd do well to keep that in mind.
I absolutely loved the result and will definitely be cooking it often, once the heat has abated. The result is a dish with very strong flavors, contrasting textures, and is fairly easy to make.
Try it and let me know how you like it.
[Recipe] Easy Sauteed Spicy Garlic Shrimp
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 tablespoon mashed garlic
- ½ teaspoon bija (annato, achiote) powder
- 2 teaspoons salt, (or more, to taste), divided
- 1 cubanela (cubanelle pepper), minced finely (I used a red one)
- 1 habanero pepper, minced finely (see notes)
- 2 doz shrimp (jumbo, uncooked, peeled)
- 2 tablespoon minced parsley
- 4 Lime wedges to garnish, (optional)
- Sautéeing: Heat the oil in a pan over very low heat. Add garlic, bija, half the salt, cubanela, and habanero to the oil, cook stirring occasionally until the pepper is cooked through, taking care that it does not burn. Stir in the shrimp, parsley, and ⅓ cup water, and cook until the shrimp have turned pink. Season with salt to taste.
- Serving: Serve the corn on a bed of chenchén, and accompany with slices of chilled avocado and garnish with lime wedges.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.