Inspired on our traditional 'Pan de Hora Santa', we've upgraded to these Ham, Cheese, and Cucumber Tea Sandwiches and given it a more refined taste and look. Party time!
This post is sponsored by Gain®
My fellow Dominicans will immediately think “Pan de Hora Santa” when they see this Ham, Cheese, and Cucumber Tea Sandwiches recipe. Yeah, I took one of our most traditional finger foods and upgraded the flavors and look.
Like many a child of my generation, I must have eaten this about a zillion times. It was always the same thing: “queso geo”, a humble Dominican version of Gouda, the cheapest ham available (or Dominican salami even), margarine (oh yeah, remember people thought it was the good stuff back then), and usually served on a “galleta de panadería”, and occasionally, sandwich bread.
Nothing like the familiar goodies, that can be served any time.
If you’re inviting friends or family, you’ll really want to have time to enjoy yourself and be a good host. And part of being a good host is to have a presentable home (and enough food!). You really don’t want them to get even the faintest smell of your garbage, and you know that once the temperature starts to rise this can pose a bit of a problem. Glad® OdorShield® Gain™ Original Scent with Febreze® comes to the rescue.
Reinforced bands also mean not having to “double bag” your trash, and prevents disasters when taking out the garbage. One less thing to worry about. Check out Glad®‘s website for more information. Thanks for supporting the sponsors that support our blog.
Now you can make these lovely little sandwiches to treat your family and friends next time there’s a juntadera. Be ready for guests, make these simple finger foods, chill the beverages, and relax.
Ham, Cheese, and Cucumber Tea Sandwiches Recipe
- 1/2 lb of gouda cheese
- 1/2 york ham
- A sprig of fresh dill (optional)
- 1/2 stick of butter , soft
- 4 slices of sandwich bread
- 4 small cucumbers , sliced very thinly (see notes)
- Making the sandwiches: Mix cheese, ham, dill and half of the butter in the food processor until it turns into a smooth paste. Spread evenly on 4 slices of bread. Place half of the cucumber slices on the cheese and ham paste. Butter the other four slices of bread, and place on the cucumbers, butter side down. Butter the top of each sandwich and cover with the remaining cucumber.
- Chill: Place the sandwiches on a tray, wrap in plastic film and chill for an hour, or until it’s time to serve.
- Serve: Once it’s time to serve, carefully cut the crust and cut each sandwich into 4 triangles. Serve chilled. This is perfect with the afternoon coffee, or even a glass of wine.
Glad Odorshield Gain Original Scent, 5-day Odor Control guaranteed (even the most perceptive noses won’t notice the trash), neutralizes odors while leaving behind the fresh original scent of Gain™, no need for extra wrapping, and it’s available in a variety of scents. Check out glad.com for more information.