Pasta with Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatballs and Tomato Sauce is a new take on a classic favorite, and hides a surprise that everyone will love. More cheese is always better!
I have made this Pasta with Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatballs and Tomato Sauce many times at home, and needless to say, it's always a big hit, but for some reason, it had never occurred to me to write a recipe for it.
Maybe I thought that there were enough meatball pasta recipes out there. But, in my estimation, there aren't enough recipes for meatballs stuffed with cheese though. So I am here doing my best to help fix that sad state o affairs.
About this recipe
I wonder if, outside of vegan and other non-meat or pasta diets, every blog has a meatball pasta recipe. Regardless, I decided to throw my hat in the ring, so to speak.
What matters, in the end, is that there's a way to add even more cheese to this dish. And more cheese is a good thing in my book. It's a recipe that's hard to resist.
[Recipe + Video] Pasta with Mozzarella Meatballs & Tomato Sauce
- ¾ pound [0.34 kg] minced beef
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon freshly cracked pepper, (or more, to taste), divided
- ½ small red onion, , minced
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves, , minced
- 2 ¼ tablespoons salt, (or more, to taste), divided
- ¼ pound [0.11 kg] of mozzarella, , diced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil, (corn, peanut or soy)
- 2 cups tomato sauce, (use the sauce from this recipe)
- Leafs from a sprig of oregano
- Water for boiling pasta
- 12 ounces [0.34 kg] of penne
- ¼ cup of freshly-grated parmesan
- Making the meatballs: In a bowl mix beef, egg, ½ teaspoon of pepper, onion, breadcrumbs, garlic, 1 tablespoon of salt and work the mixture together until thoroughly mixed. Roll the mixture into 16 equal-sized balls, flatten the balls and place a mozzarella cube in the center, shape again into balls making sure the mozzarella is completely covered.
- Make the sauce: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium. Cook the meatballs, turning carefully as they cook until they have browned. Pour in the tomato sauce, covering the meatballs. Add the oregano. Cover and lower the heat to low while the pasta is cooked.
- Cook the pasta: Follow packet instructions for al dente pasta, adding 1 tablespoon of salt to the water before adding the pasta to it. Once cooked-through, drain the pasta.
- Mixing everything: Taste the tomato sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix the pasta and meatballs and tomato sauce. Remove from the heat.
- Serving: Serve alongside the parmesan cheese.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.