Pasta with Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatballs and Tomato Sauce is a new take on a classic favorite, and hides a surprise that everyone will love. More cheese is always better!
I have made this Pasta with Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatballs and Tomato Sauce many times at home, and needless to say, it’s always a big hit, but for some reason, it had never occurred to me to write a recipe for it.
Maybe I thought that there were enough meatball pasta recipes out there. But, in my estimation, there aren’t enough recipes for meatballs stuffed with cheese though. So I am here doing my best to help fix that sad state o affairs.
I wonder if, outside of vegan and other non-meat or pasta diets, every blog has a meatball pasta recipe. Regardless, I decided to throw my hat in the ring, so to speak.
What matters in the end is that there’s a way to add even more cheese to this dish. And more cheese is a good thing in my book.
Pasta with Mozzarella Meatballs & Tomato Sauce – Recipe & Video
- 3/4 lb [0.34 kg] minced beef
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon of freshly-cracked pepper (or more, to taste), divided
- 1/2 small red onion , minced
- 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs
- 2 garlic cloves , minced
- 2 1/4 tablespoons of salt (or more, to taste), divided
- 1/4 lb [0.11 kg] of mozzarella , diced
- 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil (corn, peanut or soy)
- 2 cups of tomato sauce (use the sauce from this recipe)
- Leafs from a sprig of oregano
- Water for boiling pasta
- 12 oz [0.34 kg] of penne
- 1/4 cup of freshly-grated parmesan
- Making the meatballs: In a bowl mix beef, egg, 1/2 teaspoon of pepper, onion, breadcrumbs, garlic, 1 tablespoon of salt and work the mixture together until thoroughly mixed. Roll the mixture into 16 equal-sized balls, flatten the balls and place a mozzarella cube in the center, shape again into balls making sure the mozzarella is completely covered.
- Cooking the meatballs: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium. Cook the meatballs, turning carefully as they cook until they have browned. Pour in the tomato sauce, covering the meatballs. Add the oregano. Cover and lower the heat to low while the pasta is cooked.
- Cook the pasta: Follow packet instructions for al dente pasta, adding 1 tablespoon of salt to the water before adding the pasta to it. Once cooked-through, drain the pasta.
- Mixing everything: Taste the tomato sauce and season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix the pasta and meatballs and tomato sauce. Remove from the heat.
- Serving: Serve alongside the parmesan cheese.