Strong, meaty tastes, you can indulge in this light vegan lentil and pumpkin dip without guilt. Creamy and smooth, dip your favorite chips in it.
Why we ❤️ it
“Lentejas, si quieres las comes y si no las dejas” is a popular Spanish saying. As lentils have long been a favorite of mine, I opt for taking rather than leaving, like in this vegan lentil and pumpkin dip.
I’ve always known they were good for me, but my love for lentils grew a bit more ardent after finding out just how good, nutritious and tasty they are.
About this recipe
Although not a core component of Dominican cuisine, lentils are not completely unknown in the country. We feature in our collection a lentil stew in the European tradition, with a singularly Dominican flavor, as well as other lentil-based dishes.
In this particular recipe, we have combined it with one of the stars of Dominican cuisine: auyama, in a dish that even the fiercest of carnivores will enjoy.
*Lentils, eat them or leave them. Another version is: "Lentejas, comida de viejas, si quieres las comes y si no, las dejas" – Lentils, food for old ladies, eat them or leave them.
Vegan Lentil and Pumpkin Dip Recipe
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 cup diced auyama (kabocha squash), (West Indian pumpkin)
- 1 cup dry lentils, boiled
- ¾ teaspoon salt, (or more, to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon paprika, (optional)
- 1 cup water that the lentils boiled in
- Juice of half a lemon, (or lime)
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- Cooking: Heat half the oil over very low heat. Stir in the garlic and cumin and cook stirring until the garlic releases its aroma. Stir in the auyama and lentils and cook stirring for a minute. Pour in the water and stir in salt and paprika and cover. Simmer until all the liquid has evaporated.Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- Pureeing: Add the lemon juice and puree in the food processor.
- Serving: Garnish with the extra oil and minced parsley. Serve with casabe or toasted bread.
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.