A thin crispy crust, sweet creamy guava and melted salty cheese in a roll that will leave you craving for more.
Here's our first recipe of the year, and you'll be surprised how amazing and simple to make these Guava and Queso de Freír Rolls are.
I remember when I was a kid one of my maternal grandfather's favorite dulcitos was eating queso de freír -- our halloumi-like cheese for frying -- drizzled with honey. As a child, I was both intrigued, and mildly put off. I guess it was a grown-up thing.
I later discovered that pairing cheese with fruits or conserves is actually a great idea, and with these two humble staples of our cuisine (Guava Paste and Queso de Freír) wrapped in thin dough and baked to golden crispiness, it just works. It tastes positively luxurious.
I dare you to have just one.
Guava and Queso de Freír Rolls Recipe
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour , plus extra for working the dough
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 3 tablespoons of cold water (you may need a bit more)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (like coconut), divided
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- Guava candy cut into 8 sticks
- ¼ lb [0.11 kg] of Queso de Freír cut into 8 sticks (see notes)
- 1 yolk
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- Mix baking baking soda, baking powder, salt and flour, add water and 3 tablespoons of oil, and mix well. Work with your hands on a lightly-floured surface until everything is well mixed, don't knead the dough (add some flour to the dough is it is too sticky, a bit of water if it is too dry).
- Let dough rest for ten minutes covered in plastic film.
- Heat the oven to 350 ºC [175 ºC].
- On a lightly-floured surface roll out the dough as thin as possible and cut into eight 4" x 4" [10 x 10 cm] squares. Wrap a stick of cheese and a stick of guava paste in each square, seal the edges with a bit of water.
- Grease a baking tray with the remaining oil.
- Mix the yolk and milk to make an egg wash. Brush the pockets with the egg wash. Place them on the tray and bake until they turn golden brown (15-20 minutes).
- Serve warm.