Lovely, bright color, soft chewy bread with a sugar crust that makes Sweet Pumpkin Bread perfect with the morning coffee or tea.
Why we ❤️ it
Pumpkin Sweet Bread? Why, yes, after all, auyama, or West Indian pumpkin, is one of the star ingredients of Dominican cuisine, so it's natural for us to explore new and creative ways to use it.
Don't miss our complete guide to auyama to learn more about it.
About this recipe
As bread-making goes, this is a beginner recipe. There are two important things to keep in mind. First, your yeast has to be fresh, and just because you just bought it from the supermarket doesn't necessarily mean that it is fresh, in my experience.
You can read how to check if the yeast is fresh, and test it beforehand.
Another thing to remember is that temperatures are important, including the temperature of the water you add to the bread, please check the recipe notes.
Sweet Pumpkin Bread Recipe
- Combine warm water (finger temperature), half the sugar and 4 tablespoons of butter. Stir in the yeast. Let stand for 10 minutes, or until foamy (see notes).
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Mix in the the yeast mixture and mashed auyama. Mix in the mixer using the hook at medium-low heat for 5 minutes. Turn off the mixer and cover the bowl with a clean tea towel. Let it rest for an hour, or until the dough doubles in volume.
- Start the mixer again over low speed, stir in raisins until it's well mixed, but be careful not to overwork the dough.
- Grease a 6-cup non-stick bundt mold with the remaining butter. Sprinkle the bottom with the sugar, followed by the cinnamon powder. Pour the dough into the bowl. Cover and let it rest in a warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375 ºF [190 ºC].
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until you poke with a skewer and it comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from the mold.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.