This isn't grandma's Buñuelos de Yuca recipe (Cassava 'Beignets' in Spiced Syrup), these are puffy and crispy outside, airy and creamy inside. Just amazing.
Why we ❤️ it
Buñuelos de yuca is the Dominican buñuelo, very popular during the Lenten season, and a dish that's been consumed in our country for a long time. But these aren't grandma's buñuelos.
Not that there's anything wrong with grandma's buñuelos.
Buñuelos de yuca.
About this recipe
Grandma's Buñuelos de Yuca are perfectly round, but a lot denser than these, and therein lies my problem. I thought that they would work better if they were closer to beignets. So I started experimenting with ways to get there. And I did.
Unlike traditional Buñuelos de Yuca, these are puffy and crispy on the outside, but airy and creamy inside, and with a touch of spice that will have you dreaming of them for a long time.
They have all the goodness of grandma's buñuelos, but such a nice texture that I'm hoping you'll love as much as I did.
This awesome free recipe contains Amazon affiliate links, we receive a small commission from any purchase you make at no extra cost to you. Thanks!
Buñuelos de Yuca Recipe (Cassava 'Beignets' in Spiced Syrup)
For the spiced syrup
- Making syrup: Mix all the ingredients with a cup of water and simmer over very low heat until the liquid has reduced to half. Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Set aside.
- Making buñuelo batter: Cool yuca to room temperature. Remove and discard the center nerve. Place in the food processor bowl. Add butter, egg, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and sugar. Blend until it turns into a smooth batter.
- Chilling: Cover the bowl and chill the batter for 3 hours in the fridge (or 20 minutes in the freezer).
- Frying: Heat oil over medium heat in a 1 qt [1 lt] saucepan. Scoop batter with a small spoon, shape with a second small spoon and place into the hot oil, being careful with hot oil splatters. Scoop 3 more balls and place into the oil. Fry four at a time until they turn golden brown all over (turn if needed).Remove from the oil and place on a paper towel to remove excess oil.
- Serving: Place them still warm into 4 small bowls or dessert glasses, pour equal amount of syrup over them. Serve immediately.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutrition information.
Published Nov 9, 2015, revised