Summer is coming! So, let’s hear it for the last soup of the season. Maybe.
Much as I love my soups, and I have written about my love of soups many times, soon the weather will make eating soup the kind of thing I wouldn’t do for fun. This Tomato and Tortellini Soup was bouncing around my head for many months, so I had to get done testing and tasting before summer makes daytime Sahara look like a vacation in the Alps.
I love me some pasta, but at my age one has to keep an eye on the scales, and a plate full of pasta is the kind of youthful indiscretion I can only dream about now. By turning a popular pasta dish into a soup I get the best of both worlds.
I tried this soup with both cheese-stuffed tortellini and chicken tortellini. I have to say I vastly prefer the ricotta cheese one, although, as with many things, it’s probably a matter of preference.
In the spirit of full disclosure, I must say that I tested this recipe and wrote it many weeks ago. You might have seen it around my Instagram feed if you follow me (and why wouldn’t you?).
Tomato and Tortellini Soup Recipe
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 4 lb [1.8 kg] of very ripe tomatoes , diced
- 1 teaspoon of fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon of chopped basil leaves
- 4 cloves of garlic , crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt (or more, to taste)
- 1 lb [0.45 kg] of tortellini (with whichever stuffing you prefer)
- 1/4 teaspoons of pepper (or more, to taste)
- 1/2 freshly-grated Parmesan Pecorino
- Heat olive oil over low heat in a medium-sized pot (3 qt [3 lt]). Stir in tomatoes, oregano, basil and garlic, cook and stir until the garlic releases its aroma. Lower heat and simmer covered until the tomatoes are cooked through (about 15 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature. Press the tomatoes using a food mill or a fine sieve to separate the "juice" from the solids. Once you're done, discard the solids and return the liquid to a pot and heat over medium heat. Stir in salt.
- Once it breaks the boil, add the tortellini and simmer covered until the tortellini is cooked through (check cook time in the package).
- Remove from the heat, season with pepper to taste. Sprinkle with cheese after serving.