This ponche de chocolate (chocolate eggnog) feels somewhere between a luscious drink and a light dessert. You can never go wrong with chocolate. A must-try!
As a chocolate lover myself, nothing beats a toast with ponche and this chocolate eggnog is amazing. Join me.
When to serve
If it were for me, any time. However, traditionally, ponche is served during the Christmas and holiday season in our country.
But you don't have to wait till December to enjoy it, feel free to make this homemade eggnog and enjoy it any time of the year. It's also great as an edible gift for friends and family.
About this recipe
This chocolate eggnog recipe is a spinoff of our traditional ponche crema (rum eggnog), which is a mixture of dairy, spices (cinnamon sticks, and cloves), and egg yolk. For this recipe, we've switched out a few things and added cocoa powder for a creamy, chocolatey, smooth drink.
This recipe yields about a liter of eggnog, or 4 cups, about 6 servings. You can double or triple the ingredients (same cooking time) to have extra servings.
[Recipe + Video] Ponche de Chocolate (Chocolate Eggnog)
- 1¼ cup of condensed milk
- 2 cup evaporated milk
- 3 egg yolks, (lightly whisk)
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves, (or a sprinkle of nutmeg powder)
- 1 cup of white Dominican rum
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- Combining: In a large bowl, mix the condensed and evaporated milk. Stir the egg yolks into the milk mixture.Sieve, then discard solids. Add cinnamon sticks and nutmeg. Mix in rum.Add the cocoa and stir to combine as much as possible.
- Cooking: Boil in a large pot in a bain-marie (hot water bath) over medium-low heat for 20 minutes, lower heat and simmer for 20 more minutes. Stir often to prevent it from sticking to the bottom.
- Cooling: Add the rum and remove it from the heat. Stir constantly but slowly until it cools down to room temperature.Remove the cinnamon sticks.
- Serving: Chill, then pour into a bottle for storage (in the fridge), or to serve immediately.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.