Nutritious, refreshing and very easy to make, Oats and Strawberry Popsicles, everyone in the family will love them. Summer, here we come!
Isn't this Oats and Strawberry Popsicle the perfect summer treat? Yes, it is.
When I was a kid I used to drink a strawberry and oats drink that was very popular in the DR. I am not even sure if it is still sold, but I figured I could not only make my own, but make it into something my daughter would love. And she does.
This is almost breakfast-worthy, which makes it a great little treat for fuzzy kids, and a way to make them eat a healthy snack, and even come back for more. I'll be making these more often, possibly trying it with other berries and stone fruits (cherries sounds like a winner too).
And you, what do you do in the summer to make the heat bearable?
About this recipe
This is more an idea than a recipe, so I give you several ways you can adapt it to your taste, or what you have at hand. You can also add other fruits if you are feeling adventurous.
Oats and Strawberry Popsicles Recipe
- 1 cup of steel-cut oats (see notes)
- 2 cups of milk (see notes)
- ½ lb [250 g] of fresh strawberries
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup of sugar , or to taste (see notes)
- Mix milk and oatmeal in a blender until oats are dissolved (about 5 minutes at hight speed). Sieve to remove solids.
- Return milk to the blender and add the remaining ingredients. Blend until milk has turned pink, leaving some small pieces of strawberry.
- Pour into popsicle molds, add the sticks and freeze.
Notes and Tips
Substitute sweetener of your choice for sugar, add to taste. If you just have instant oats, you can also use it but may need to use about half as it dissolves faster into the milk. This isn't a necessarily exact recipe, adjust things to your own taste as you go along. If you don't find fresh strawberries, use frozen strawberries, you do not need to thaw them.