You'll love this simple, filling, cream of broccoli potato cheese soup recipe, with few ingredients and very easy to make: It is full of cheesy flavor, creamy, rich, and smooth.
I can't say no to soup, because I love soup. Ask anyone who knows me. So I made soup for myself and wrote the recipe for a reader who asked for it.
How to serve
Some bowls of broccoli cheese soup, and maybe a few chunks of toasted bread, and you'll have a very comforting, filling dinner. Skip the bread, and this flour-free soup will be perfect for those following a gluten-free diet.
About this recipe
This dairy and veggie soup is very easy to make, and an absolute winner with cheese lovers. You can make several substitutions that I list in the recipe notes. You can also add extra herbs and spices if you feel adventurous and don't mind doing some experimenting.
This soup yields 4 servings of approximately 2½ servings each. You can double the quantities and freeze or refrigerate the extra batch for another day. It lasts a day in the fridge, or about a week in the freezer.
[Recipe + Video] Cream of Cheese and Broccoli Soup
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 1 pound potato, [0.45 kg], Yukon gold, diced
- 1½ quart vegetable broth, [1.5 lt], (or chicken broth) divided
- 1 head broccoli, [0.45 kg] , cut into florets
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1½ teaspoons salt, or to taste, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 bunch parsley
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup of freshly-grated parmesan
- Cooking vegetables: In a 2.5 quart [2.5 lt] pot heat the butter over low heat. Add the onion to the melted butter, followed by potatoes, and cook and stir until the onions start to become translucent.Add 3 tablespoons of vegetable broth and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked through, stirring and adding broth by the tablespoon as it becomes necessary.Add the remaining broth and the broccoli. Increase heat to medium and bring to a boil.
- Blending: Once it has come to a rolling boil, remove it from the heat. Let the preparation cool to room temperature.Pour into the blender vase and add the rest of the broth, milk, salt, pepper, cream cheese, and mozzarella.Blend the soup with an immersion blender or regular blender, then return to the stove to heat until it breaks a boil. Taste and add salt to taste if you find it neccessary.
- Serving: Remove from the heat and serve. Sprinkle with parmesan.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.