You'll love this simple, filling, Cream of Broccoli and Potato Soup recipe, with few ingredients and very easy to make.
Somebody told me to make broccoli soup. Darn if I remember who. I can't remember if it was on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook, it's hard to keep track these days, but some lovely reader asked me for a broccoli soup.
And I can't say no to soup, because I love soup. Ask my husband, or my kid. Or anyone who's ever stayed for more than one meal.
So I made soup for me, and for a reader somewhere who I hope reads this.
There are over 11 million broccoli soups on the internet alone (yeah, I looked it up), but like many a recipe in this blog, this one started with the basic ingredient that I happened to have (broccoli), then I added whatever I happened to find around in my kitchen and tweaked it until I liked it. Soup is generous and forgiving like that. Yay for soup!
Cream of Broccoli, Cheese, and Potato Soup Recipe
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large white onion, , diced
- 1 lb [0.45 kg] floury potatoes, , diced
- 1½ quart [1.5 lt] of vegetable broth, , divided
- 1 lb [0.45 kg] of broccoli, , cut into florets
- ⅓ cup of minced spinach
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- 1½ teaspoons of sea salt, , or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon of freshly cracked pepper, , or to taste
- ¼ cup of freshly-grated parmesan, , or to taste
- 2 tablespoons of minced curly parsley, , or to taste
- 1 baguette, , sliced and toasted
- Sauteing vegetables: In a 2.5 quart [2.5 lt] pot heat the oil over low heat. Add the onion and potatoes and cook and stir until the onions start to become translucent.
- Simmering: Add 3 tablespoons of vegetable broth and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked through, stirring and adding broth by the tablespoon as it becomes necessary.Add the remaining broth and the broccoli. Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil.
- Blending: Once it has come to a rolling boil, remove from the heat. Add the spinach and let the preparation cool to room temperature.Purée the soup in a blender, then return to the pot.
- Seasoning: Pour in the lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste and heat over medium temperature until it breaks the boil.
- Serving: Remove from the heat and serve. Sprinkle with parmesan and parsley to taste and serve alongside bread.