You'll love this simple, filling, Cream of Broccoli and Potato Soup recipe, with few ingredients and very easy to make.
| Lee en Español |
Somebody told me to make broccoli soup. Darn if I remember who. I can’t remember if it was on Instagram, Twitter or Facebook, it’s hard to keep track these days, but some lovely reader asked me for a broccoli soup.
And I can’t say no to soup, because I love soup. Ask my husband, or my kid. Or anyone who’s ever stayed for more than one meal.
So I made soup for me, and for a reader somewhere who I hope reads this.
There are over 11 million broccoli soups on the internet alone (yeah, I looked it up), but like many a recipe in this blog, this one started with the basic ingredient that I happened to have (broccoli), then I added whatever I happened to find around in my kitchen and tweaked it until I liked it. Soup is generous and forgiving like that. Yay for soup!
Cream of Broccoli and Potato Soup Recipe
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 large white onion , diced
- 1 lb [0.45 kg] floury potatoes , diced
- 1.5 quart [1.5 lt] of vegetable broth , divided
- 1 lb [0.45 kg] of broccoli , cut into florets
- 1/3 cup of minced spinach
- 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of sea salt , or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon of freshly cracked pepper , or to taste
- 1/4 cup of freshly-grated parmesan , or to taste
- 2 tablespoons of minced curly parsley , or to taste
- 1 baguette , sliced and toasted
- In a 2.5 quart [2.5 lt] pot heat the oil over low heat. Add the onion and potatoes and cook and stir until the onions start to become translucent.
- Add 3 tablespoons of vegetable broth and cover with a tight-fitting lid. Simmer until the potatoes are cooked through, stirring and adding broth by the tablespoon as it becomes necessary.
- Add the remaining broth and the broccoli. Increase heat to medium and bring to the boil.
- Once it has come to a rolling boil, remove from the heat. Add the spinach and let the preparation cool to room temperature.
- Purée the soup in a blender, then return to the pot.
- Pour in the lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste and heat over medium temperature until it breaks the boil.
- Remove from the heat and serve. Sprinkle with parmesan and parsley to taste and serve alongside bread.