This flavorful Spicy Beef with Peppers and Orange dish is not only super-fast but also easy to make. It is the perfect dish for lazy weekends and dinners in a rush.
It’s not everyday I am in the mood for cooking, and yet husband and child expect to eat every day.
I have the great luck of having a husband that can find his way around a kitchen, although BBQ is his specialty (hear me not complaining!). But some days when it’s my turn to cook I wish I could hire my own personal chef. Even the things we like the most (cooking in my case) are not enjoyable each and every time.
What to do? Spicy Beef with Peppers and Orange!
I already gave you an idea to recycle your leftover white rice into a colorful, flavorful yellow rice with carrots and onions, which shares dish with this beef.
Now here’s the other half, one of my favorite recipes when I have to get in and out of the kitchen in no time.
I would love to tell you that this is a dish of Asian inspiration, but I’d be lying. The truth is that it came about from the need to do something quick with ingredients that we already had.
We love spicy food, so adapt this to the level of heat you like.
Spicy Beef with Peppers and Orange Recipe
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 1 cup of ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon of cracked coriander seeds (optional)
- 1 tablespoon of spicy-hot sauce
- 1 1/2 lb [0.7 kg] flank steak
- 1/4 teaspoon of salt (or more, to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon of pepper (or more, to taste)
- 3 tablespoon of oil for frying (canola, corn or peanut)
- 3 bell peppers , cut into thin strips
- Mix orange juice, ketchup, coriander seeds and hot sauce. Set aside.
- Cut steaks into thin strips (0.5 cm [1/4 inch]), cutting across the grain. Using a paper towel pat dry the beef strips.
- Season the beef with a teaspoon of salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Heat oil over high heat in a large thick-bottomed pot. Add meat (careful with hot oil splatters!). Brown beef while stirring. Add the pepper strips and cook and stir for 30 seconds. Add the orange mixture, and let it reduce for two minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.