If you're looking for a spectacular dish to serve guests that don't take hours to make: here's this Caramelized Onion Tart with Cheese Crust.
This post is sponsored by Holland House®
Why we ❤️ it
Let's share a slice of this rustic caramelized onion tart with a cheese crust. If you love French onion soup, you'll love this, although it only has the onions and cheese in common.
The secret to this recipe is the sherry because it is the taste of sherry that makes or breaks this dish. For this tart I picked my favorite brand, you already know it: Holland House. Their quality cooking wines are so good you could almost drink them -- don't, they have salt added by law.
The result is a crispy crust filled with a creamy, gentle onion filling with the kind of sweet that comes from slow, gentle caramelization, topped with sharp cheeses.
Caramelized Onion Tart with Cheese Crust Recipe
For the crust
For the filling
For the crust
- In a mixing bowl mix flour, salt and baking soda.
- Add oil and milk.
- Mix until all the ingredients are incorporated completely.
- If the dough is too dry add water by the teaspoon until it is workable but not soggy or sticky.
- Knead lightly until the dough is smooth (about 1 minute).
- Wrap in plastic film and let it rest at room temperature for at least 10 minutes.
For the filling.
- Heat the oil over low heat in a large pan with cover.
- Add the onions and stir until they are coated with oil. Cover and simmer over for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Increase heat to medium and add the Holland House Sherry, simmer until the sherry has mostly evaporated. Cover and simmer over low heat for another 15 minutes, or until the onions have turned caramel brown and are very tender.
- Season with the garlic salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Remove from the heat. Mix in the flour and cool to room temperature.
- Roll out the dough with a rolling pin until you have a circle big enough to cover the bottom and sides of a 9" [23 cm] pie pan.
- Cover the pie pan with the dough and tidy up the sides.
- Heat oven to 350 ºF [175 ºC].
- Bake the pie crust for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven.
- Fill the pie crust with the onion, top with the cheeses.
- Return to the oven and bake until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Serve hot.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.