This Potato, Zucchini and Cheese Casserole is a one-stop meal, simple, flavorful, filling and as lazy a meal as it can get.
Why we ❤️ it
This week I decided to go back to an old favorite dish of mine and make a one-dish meal with this potato, zucchini and cheese casserole.
Also this week we were hit by a tropical storm. Luckily--besides having been rained on and on for four days--nothing else happened. The good side of it is that the temperature dropped low enough that I could use my oven without the whole place feeling like midday in the Sahara.
This simple dish is nearly a whole meal in itself. It packs protein, carbohydrate, dairy, and vegetables in a cheesy, warm, soft slice. And the leftovers--because the portions are pretty big in this recipe--can be packed the next day for the school lunch, as it keeps very well and tastes better the next day.
Potato, Zucchini and Cheese Casserole Recipe
- Heat oven at 375 º F [190 ºC].
- Grate potatoes and zucchini separately with the coarse side of the grater.
- Heat half the oil over low heat in a 12" [30 cm] skillet.
- Add onions and cook covered for five minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the potatoes, cook and stir for three minutes.
- Season with 1 ½ teaspoon of salt and ¼ teaspoon of freshly-cracked pepper.
- Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs and season with a ½ teaspoon of salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Mix eggs, bell pepper, cheese, potatoes and zucchini.
- Pour the remaining oil into the skillet, followed by the potato mix.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool for five minutes before serving.
- Serve as a side dish, or with salad for a light meal.
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.