This week we were hit by a tropical storm. Luckily, besides having been rained in and on for four days, nothing else happened.
The good side of it is that the temperature dropped low enough that I could use my oven without the whole place feeling like midday in the Sahara.
Another side effect of heavy rains is that it zaps me out of any desire to work. I just feel like vegging out all day and go from couch to couch hugging a book. Alas, I have to feed the kid, and my mom who is visiting now.
So I decided to go back to an old favorite of mine, and make a one-dish meal with this potato, zucchini and cheese casserole.
This simple dish is nearly a whole meal in itself.
It packs protein, carbohydrate, dairy and vegetables in a cheesy, warm, soft slice. And the leftovers, because the portions are pretty big in this recipe, can be packed next day for the school lunch, as it keeps very well and tastes better the next day.
Potato, Zucchini and Cheese Casserole Recipe
- 2 1/2 lb [1.13 kg] of starchy potatoes or similar
- 1 large zucchini
- 1/4 cup of olive oil , divided
- 2 white onions , thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons of salt , divided
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly-cracked pepper , divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 red bell pepper , diced
- 1 1/2 cup of shredded Cheddar cheese
- Heat oven at 375 º F [190 ºC].
- Grate potatoes and zucchini separately with the coarse side of the grater.
- Heat half the oil over low heat in a 12" [30 cm] skillet.
- Add onions and cook covered for five minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the potatoes, cook and stir for three minutes.
- Season with 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of freshly-cracked pepper.
- Remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.
- In a separate bowl whisk eggs and season with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Mix eggs, bell pepper, cheese, potatoes and zucchini.
- Pour the remaining oil into the skillet, followed by the potato mix.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool for five minutes before serving.
- Serve as a side dish, or with salad for a light meal.