There are many recipes for delicious, slow-cooking lobster sauce out there, but this simple Simple Lobster Pasta is perfect for summer due to its short cooking time.
Did you know that in the Dominican Republic, and many other Caribbean countries, fishing lobster is banned for part of the summer?
La veda de langostas, as it is known here, seeks to protect the lobster from overfishing by giving the species time to replenish. It takes place from March to June in Belice, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Panamá and the Dominican Republic (there may be differences between countries). And while the importation of lobster is not banned, and one could legally acquire imported lobster, environmentalists suggest that we do not partake, to make sure that we are not served illegally-caught lobster passing for imported.
Well, la veda has ended, just in time for this simple lobster pasta dish.
I absolutely love shellfish, and this is the main reason why I could not remain a vegan. Lobster, however, is not on the top of my list. This doesn't mean that I don't enjoy the occasional lobster. I mean, who doesn't? (aside from vegans, vegetarians, people with religious dietary rules, people with allergies, people who hate lobster, and so on).
Once I saw that my local supermarket was carrying locally-caught lobster again, it was time for some cooking.
And following my obsession for finding quick and easy dishes that can be prepared in our tropical hot summers, this is another one to add to the list. Serve with some arugula salad and this will be a dish that will dazzle your friends and family without having to spend hours in the kitchen.
Simple Lobster Pasta Recipe
- 1 cup of sun-dried tomatoes, , chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup of black olives, , chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, , chopped
- 1 ½ lb [1.13 kg] lobster meat, , cut into bite-size pieces
- ⅓ cup dry white wine, (see notes)
- ½ cup of fresh basil, , chopped
- 1 pound [0.45 kg] short pasta of your choice
- 1 ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of pepper
- ½ teaspoon of chili flakes, (or more, to taste)
- Soak the tomatoes in abundant water for an hour. Remove from the water and squeeze to remove excess water.
- Heat the oil over very low heat.
- Add the tomatoes, olives and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. In the meantime boil the pasta according to the instructions in the package.
- Add the lobster to the to the tomato mix. Cook until the lobster meat has become white. Add wine and cook until it breaks a boil.
- Season with salt, pepper and chili flakes to taste.
- Add the pasta and toss until mixed well. Remove from the heat.
- Add the chopped parsley and mix. Serve immediately.