These glazed grilled pork chops with green mango salsa prove how versatile mango is. You'll love the sweet and savory salsa and the lovely texture of the green mango.
Like many a cook has found out, pork chops tend to turn dry and tough if done wrong. I am about to share with you my favorite cooking method for pork chops, they turn picture-perfect, with lovely grill marks, and meat that is juicy and flavorful.
The green mango salsa takes this to a whole new level: The glazing makes the chops look even juicier, and gives it an amazing flavor. The salsa is an incredible combination of sweet, sour, and a hint of spiciness.
It's the most moreish salsa you'll ever have.
About this recipe
Let me tell you the secret for perfectly-cooked, yet juicy pork chops: A couple of hours marinating, plus very-hot-but-quick cooking. No more shoe-sole-looking, chewy pork chops, ever!
You may find that the mango salsa bears some resemblance to chutney, but it's way easier and quicker to make.
[Recipe + Video] Grilled Pork Chops with Green Mango Salsa
- 1 large ripe mango, or 2 small, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoons of salt, (or more to taste), divided
- 1 teaspoon of chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon of freshly-cracked pepper
- 2 tablespoons of apple vinegar
- 12 thinly-sliced, pork chops (about ½ inch [1.3 cm])
- 1 large white onions, diced
- 1 large unripe mango, or 2 small, peeled and diced (see notes)
- 3 tablespoons of oil for frying
- Cilantro for garnishing, optional
- Making marinade: Blend the ripe mangos to make mango juice.Add soy sauce, salt, chili flakes, pepper, and vinegar, and stir to mix.
- Marinate meat: Place the pork chops in a bowl, pour in the marinade, and coat all the pork chops with it.Cover and let it rest for two hours in the fridge. At 1:45 mins start heating the grill at high temperature.
- Grill the chops: Remove the pork chops from the marinade, and set the marinade aside for the next step.Place the pork chops on the grill. Close it and cook for 4 minutes.Flip and cook covered for another 3 minutes. Remove from the grill.
- Making the sauce: While the chops are in the grill, heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion and cook stirring until the onion becomes translucent. Stir in the unripe mango, and cook stirring for another minute. Pour in the marinade you had saved, and stir to mix.Lower the heat to medium, cover, and simmer for 4 minutes.
- Serving: Serve the chops topped with the salsa, and any leftover salsa on the side. Sprinkle with some cilantro.