Most people like it, but what will make this 5 Spices and Honey Chicken and Potato Roast a sure-hit is that not only is it exploding with flavor, it's also very easy to make.
Few non-vegans/non-vegetarians shun chicken, so this dish is perfect for most people, and it's also very summer-friendly. It takes a few minutes to prepare, leave it in the oven and you can then go keep yourself cool to prevent death from spontaneous combustion.
Some would think that using an oven in the summer is counterproductive, but the reality is that standing in front of the stove for a long period of time cooking a hot meal is much worse.
The idea behind this method (there are other oven-cooked meals in our blog) is that you can leave it to its own devices and stay out of the kitchen.
About this recipe
I cleaned and seasoned the chicken early in the day, left the potatoes peeled, cut and seasoned, and kept it in the fridge until an hour before it went in the oven. At the same time as I was preparing the chicken to go in the fridge, I made a salad, which I kept in the fridge until it was time to serve.
I have not included the preparation for the potatoes in the video because you may choose some other side dish to got with it.
Try it out, you'll love it.
5 Spices and Honey Chicken and Potato Roast Recipe
For the chicken
- 6 chicken thighs
- Juice of two limes
- 2 teaspoon of ground cayenne pepper (none, if you're not a fan of spicy foods)
- 1 tablespoon of paprika (or bija / annato powder)
- 1 tablespoon of ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon of freshly-cracked pepper
- A pinch of ground cloves
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 1/3 cup of honey
For the potatoes
- 2 1/2 lb [1.13 kg] of medium-sized potatoes
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
For the chicken
Mix spices and honey: In a bowl mix cayenne pepper, paprika, ginger, pepper, cloves, salt, and honey. If the honey is too thick (it has to be a bit on the runny side), you can microwave it for 20 seconds, or add a tablespoon of hot water and mix well).
Season chicken: If you wish, you can strip the chicken of all fat, but don't remove the skin. Personally I find the chicken turns out much juicier with the fat, as most of it drips into the pan during cooking. Scrub with lime juice. Season the chicken with the honey and spices mix. Cover and let it rest for at least an hour in the fridge, discard any liquids that have oozed out.
Cook: Place the chicken skin-side up on a baking tray with a wire rack (Amazon affiliate link). Roast the in the oven pre-heated to 350 ºC [175 ºC] until the internal temperature reaches 175°F [80°C] measured in the thickest part of the thigh, or until you cut one in half and the juices run clear (about 35 minutes).
Serve: Serve chicken with the potato wedges or side of your choice.
For the potatoes
- Ready the potatoes: Peel and wash the potatoes. Cut into thin wedges, about 0.5 in [1.5 cm] at the thickest. Mix with the oil until they are coated all over. Season with salt and garlic powder. Place on a baking pan that fits alongside the chicken one.
- Cook: Roast in the oven on another tray alongside the chicken for 35 minutes. Remove from the oven. Taste the potatoes to make sure they are cooked throughout. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes if they need it.
This recipe was originally published on August 7, 2013, rewritten with video in May 2020.