Before I became a vegan in my early 20s I was the perfect eater: I would eat anything – at least once. This included foods of questionable provenance and some very unorthodox meat cuts. It’s fair to say that prior to that I was a voracious meat-eater. I eventually quit my vegan adventure, but even today I subsist mostly on vegetarian food.
We all have our preferences, ranging from the totally reasonable to the insufferably picky.
Few non-vegans/non-vegetarians shun chicken. Most people like it, but what will make this 5 spices and honey easy chicken and potato roast a sure-hit is that not only is it exploding with flavor, it’s also summer-friendly. It takes a few minutes to prepare, leave it in the oven and you can then go keep yourself cool to prevent death from spontaneous combustion.
I’ve mentioned before that my family and friends are my testers. And at least my husband and child can be brutally honest about my “experiments”. You have no idea how many recipes have perished at the testing phase, because if I can’t make them like it, I wouldn’t dare offer it to you.
This is one of those dishes that passed the test. I saw it disappear from the table so fast it seemed as if there wasn’t a lot of chewing involved.
Some would think that using an oven in the summer is counterproductive, but the reality is that standing in front of the stove for a long period of time cooking a hot meal is much worse.
The idea behind this method (there are other oven-cooked meals in our blog) is that you can leave it to its own devices and stay out of the kitchen.
I cleaned and seasoned the chicken early in the day, left the potatoes peeled, cut and seasoned, and kept it in the fridge until an hour before it went in the oven. At the same time as I was preparing the chicken to go in the fridge, I made a salad, which I kept in the fridge until it was time to serve.
Try it out, you’ll love it.
5 Spices and Honey Chicken and Potato Roast Recipe
For the chicken
- 12 chicken thighs
- Juice of two limes
- 4 tablespoons of ground cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon of paprika
- 1 tablespoon of ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon of freshly-cracked pepper
- A pinch of ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1/3 cup of honey
For the potatoes
- 2 1/2 lb [1.13 kg] of medium-sized potatoes
- 1/3 cup of olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of garlic powder
For the chicken
- Pre-heat oven to 350 ºC [175 ºC].
- Strip the chicken of all fat, but don't remove the skin (I removed the fat under the skin without cutting it off completely).
- Rinse the chicken, adding the lime juice to the water.
- In a separate bowl mix the ground cayenne pepper, paprika, ground ginger, cracked pepper, ground cloves, salt and honey.
- Smear this mix on the chicken, try to get some under the skin too.
- Place on a baking tray with wire rack.
For the potatoes
- Peel and wash the potatoes.
- Cut into thin wedges, about 0.5 in [1.5 cm] at the thickest.
- Mix with the oil until they are coated all over.
- Season with salt and garlic powder.
- Place on a baking pan with wire rack.
- Cook in the oven for 45 minutes. Remove from the oven. Taste the potatoes to make sure they are cooked throughout. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes if they need it.
- Pinch the chicken and make sure the juices run clear. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes if it needs it.
- Serve with salad on the side.