Delicious, filling and refreshing, perfect with your summer meals and BBQs. I love the gentle sweetness of the Watermelon Summer Salad.
We change our eating habits significantly during the summer. That’s what happens when you live in the tropics. I am always looking for cooling dishes and dishes that don’t require long cooking. We loved this watermelon summer salad. I served it for dunch the other day and we practically licked the bowl clean.
– “Wait… ‘dunch?!'”
Dunch is what our family calls the meal between normal lunch hours and normal dinner hours. It’s the afternoon equivalent of brunch.
The trick to this salad is to keep all the ingredients chilled and to serve as soon as possible, as the watermelon tends to get mushy after some time.
The gentle sweetness of the watermelon works very well with the saltiness and tartness of the fetta cheese, and the chilled ingredients are so refreshing a summer meal that you’ll be adding this to your summer favorites forever and ever.
Watermelon Summer Salad Recipe
- 1 small seedless watermelon or 1/2 large one , peeled and diced
- 2 heads of iceberg lettuce , shredded
- 1/2 of feta cheese , crumbled
- 1/4 of roasted , peeled pistachios, chopped
For the dressing
- 1/3 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon of honey (optional)
- 4 tablespoons of rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 2 sprigs of curly parsley
- Mix the ingredients for the salad (watermelon, cheese, lettuce and pistachios). Chill.
- To make the dressing mix olive oil, mustard, honey, vinegar, salt and parsley. Put in a blender and process until all the ingredients are mixed thoroughly. Chill.
- Serve salad as soon as possible, otherwise the watermelon will get mushy.