This Purple Potato and Chicken Salad is colorful, filling, easy to make and doesn't make you hot. What else can you ask from a summer dish?
This recipe is sponsored by Nakano®
The last few days have given me a taste of the days of summer ahead, the heat is back with a vengeance. I have resorted to my usual summer strategy of working early in the morning and in the evenings and napping and chilling out during the middle of the day. Cooking is also relegated to the cooler hours of the day. I hate cooking and eating heavy meals when I am hot.
I have mastered the technique of cooking with the minimum of effort. I am the ninja of the one-dish meal.
This filling summer salad (is it technically a salad if several of the ingredients are cooked? I am full of questions) is just perfect for these dog days. The final touch to this salad comes from the mild, refreshing taste of Mizkan rice vinegar, which works perfectly with a cold dish.
In case you missed them, these are some of my other summer-friendly one dish-meals:
Purple Potato and Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1 ½ lb [0.68 kg] of potatoes , peeled, cut into small pieces
- 1 large carrot , peeled, cut into small pieces
- 2 teaspoons of salt (or more, to taste), divided
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 1 lb [0.48 kg] of chicken breast cut into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon of pepper (or more, to taste), divided
- ⅓ cup of leek , cut into small pieces
- 6 cloves of garlic , crushed
- 4 cups of chopped kale
- ¼ cup of Mizkan rice vinegar
- Boil the carrot and potatoes until they are cooked through but firm, adding a teaspoon of salt to the water. Remove carrots and potatoes from the water and set aside.
- Season the chicken with a pinch of pepper and a teaspoon of salt.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large skillet
- Add the chicken, cooking and stirring often until the chicken is cooked through (about 7 minutes).
- Add the leek and garlic, cook and stir for a minute.
- Add the kale. Remove from the heat and stir until all the kale is wilted.
- Mix in the potatoes and carrots.
- Remove from the skillet and place in a serving bowl.
- Add the Mizkan rice vinegar and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve at room temperature