Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup is a simple dish that has a very complex taste, and it is very filling. It’s perfect for a light and easy pick-me-up.
Asparagus is one of my favorite vegetables, I never thought, though, to ever add an asparagus recipe on this blog, as it is not generally something we Dominicans eat. Once I found out that it was grown locally, I had to share this vegetarian asparagus soup recipe with you.
If you've never cooked with asparagus before, fear not, this recipe is foolproof, and you won't go wrong with it, whether you're a vegan or not.
Asparagus is the tip of the stalks from a herbaceous plant that grows in temperate climates. It has a mild flavor, and a soft flesh (once cooked), and it's a favorite served as a side dish.
There are two varieties of asparagus, most commonly this green one, and a thicker white one, both are the same plant, only the method of cultivation differs.
In the Dominican Republic asparagus can grow in the Constanza region, and it's available in chain supermarkets when in season.
Benefits of asparagus
Asparagus is very low in carbohydrates and fats, which makes them perfect for people following diets that restrict these nutrients. It contains vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, thiamin, riboflavin, as well as vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium, and zinc. Other nutrients found in asparagus are rutin, niacin, folic acid, iron, phosphorus, potassium, copper, manganese, chromium, and selenium .
About this recipe
For such a simple dish, this asparagus soup has a very complex taste, and it is very filling. It's time to make the most of the short asparagus season to enjoy one of my favorite vegetables in a creamy soup.
Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup Recipe
- ¼ cup chopped or sliced almonds (optional)
- 3 lb green asparagus [1.2 kg]
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons dry onion flakes
- 3 garlic cloves , crushed
- ½ teaspoon cumin , crushed
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1½ teaspoon salt (or more, to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon pepper (or more, to taste)
Toasting almonds: Place the almonds in a saucepan and heat over medium heat. Cook and stir until they become golden brown. Remove from the heat and set aside for when serving.
- Sauteing asparagus: Chop the asparagus into 1-inch pieces. Discard the lower ends (they tend to be a bit too woody). Heat the olive oil in a soup pot over low heat. Add asparagus, onion flakes, garlic, cumin, and parsley. Cook for five minutes, stirring occasionally so everything cooks uniformly.
- Blending: Remove the top tips and set aside for when serving. Add ½ gallon [2 l] of water to the asparagus. Blend the asparagus until very smooth.
Reheating: Return to the heat and cook over medium heat until it reaches a rolling boil. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serving: Serve hot with some bread, and garnish with the asparagus tips and the almonds.