This aromatic, comforting, filling, and light Spiced Lentils with Carrots and Purple Potatoes. Serve this delicious dish and you will be making it again soon.
| Lee en Español |
Lately, I’ve been working upwards of 14 hours a day so I need to cook dishes that don’t require a lot of babysitting, and that are tasty, filling, and pleasing to everyone in the family. Dishes like this plateful of spiced lentils with carrots and potatoes.
I am very excited about the result, so let me share…
If you have the suspicion that I have borrowed more than a little inspiration from Indian cuisine, you are right. I have. I love their spices, so I incorporated some of my favorite ones into this dish.
I found some purple potatoes in our local supermarket that was dying to try. The taste and texture are nearly identical to regular-color potatoes, but I loved the unusual color. You can use regular potatoes without loss of flavor.
Spiced Lentils with Carrots and Purple Potatoes
- 2 cups of lentils
- 12 cardamom seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon of peppercorns
- 1/2 teaspoon of chili flakes1 teaspoon of coarse salt
- 1/4 cup of olive oil , divided
- 6 garlic cloves , crushed
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 large white onions , diced
- 6 purple potatoes (or medium-size potatoes of your choice), diced
- 2 large carrots , diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 cup of arugula
- Soak the lentils in abundant water overnight (keep in the fridge). Remove from the water and rinse.
- Remove the cardamom seeds from the pods.
- Mix cardamom seeds, peppercorns, chili flakes and coarse salt. Crush with a mortar and pestle.
- Heat half the oil in a large pan over low heat, add garlic, turmeric and cardamom mix.
- Cook and stir for 30 seconds, or until the ingredients release their flavor.
- Add the onions and cook and stir until the onions turn translucent.
- Add potatoes, lentils, bay leaves and carrots. Cook and stir until it all well mixed.
- Add half the vegetable stock, mix well. Cover and simmer until the liquid has evaporated (stir ever 3 minutes or so).
- Add the remaining stock, cover and simmer (stirring frequently) until the carrots are cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and mix with the arugula. Drizzle with the remaining oil.
- Serve with arroz blanco (white rice).