This aromatic, comforting, filling, and light Spiced Lentils with Carrots and Purple Potatoes. Serve this delicious dish and you will be making it again soon.
Lately, I've been working upwards of 14 hours a day so I need to cook dishes that don't require a lot of babysitting, and that are tasty, filling, and pleasing to everyone in the family. Dishes like this plateful of spiced lentils with carrots and potatoes.
I am very excited about the result, so let me share...
If you have the suspicion that I have borrowed more than a little inspiration from Indian cuisine, you are right. I have. I love their spices, so I incorporated some of my favorite ones into this dish.
I found some purple potatoes in our local supermarket that was dying to try. The taste and texture are nearly identical to regular-color potatoes, but I loved the unusual color. You can use regular potatoes without loss of flavor.
Spiced Lentils with Carrots and Purple Potatoes
- 2 cups of lentils
- 12 cardamom seeds
- ½ teaspoon of peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon of chili flakes1 teaspoon of coarse salt
- ¼ cup of olive oil, , divided
- 6 garlic cloves, , crushed
- 1 teaspoon of turmeric
- 2 large white onions, , diced
- 6 purple potatoes, (or medium-size potatoes of your choice), diced
- 2 large carrots, , diced
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups of vegetable stock
- 1 cup of arugula
- Soak the lentils in abundant water overnight (keep in the fridge). Remove from the water and rinse.
- Remove the cardamom seeds from the pods.
- Mix cardamom seeds, peppercorns, chili flakes and coarse salt. Crush with a mortar and pestle.
- Heat half the oil in a large pan over low heat, add garlic, turmeric and cardamom mix.
- Cook and stir for 30 seconds, or until the ingredients release their flavor.
- Add the onions and cook and stir until the onions turn translucent.
- Add potatoes, lentils, bay leaves and carrots. Cook and stir until it all well mixed.
- Add half the vegetable stock, mix well. Cover and simmer until the liquid has evaporated (stir ever 3 minutes or so).
- Add the remaining stock, cover and simmer (stirring frequently) until the carrots are cooked through.
- Remove from the heat and mix with the arugula. Drizzle with the remaining oil.
- Serve with arroz blanco (white rice).