Don't throw away the old bread, try this Day-Old Bread and Cheese Breakfast Casserole and be amazed!
This post is sponsored by Sargento®.
This Day-Old Bread and Cheese Breakfast Casserole might look like an odd combination at first sight, but after making it at home as a way to use day-old bread I was very surprised to find out that this is a traditional dish somewhere in the world (Denmark, where my husband comes from). Talk about re-inventing the wheel.
It started when Sargento - a name you've seen many times in this blog already - invited me again to pick one of their recipes and run with it. It's one of my favorite things to do, it gives me new ideas, I work with a great product, and it lets me adapt them to me and my family's liking.
About our recipe
This time the changes were subtle. I added pepper, because when it comes to vegetables, the more the merrier. I used cream instead of milk for a creamier, richer flavor, and I added more cheese, because, cheese! I also the combination of textures, ingredients, and flavors
We often have brunch on weekends at home, since we tend to get up a bit later than on weekdays. This is the perfect dish to serve. It doesn't require a lot of work and served with some salad it will sustain you for many hours. So I never did figure out what dish it was that was just like this, I'll find out some day, I guess.
Day-Old Bread and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
- 1 cup of milk
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 1 day-old baguette , cut into 1/2" [1.5 cm] slices
- 2 tablespoon of butter to grease pan
- 2 1/2 cups (8 oz [227 gr]) Sargento® Shredded Reduced Fat 4 Cheese Italian, divided
- 1/2 red bell pepper , diced
- 1 stalk of leek , cut into slices
- 1/2 cup of chopped pancetta
- 1 cup of broccoli cut into small florets
- Mixing eggs: In a bowl mix milk, eggs, salt, and pepper. Whisk until it is mixed thoroughly. Mix in bread and let it rest 15 minutes for the bread to absorb the mixture of eggs and milk.
- Preparing mold: Grease a non-stick baking pan (8" diam [20 cm diam.]) with the butter.
- Adding vegetables: Add 1 1/4 cup of cheese, bell pepper, leek and, pancetta to the bread, mix well. Pour the bread mixture into the baking pan. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Cooking: Bake for 20 minutes in oven preheated to 350 °F [175 ºC]. Remove from the oven, remove the aluminum foil and top with the broccoli, and sprinkle the rest of the cheese. Return to the oven and cook until the cheese melts [5-10 mins].
- Serving: Remove from the oven, loosen the edge with a knife and let it rest for a couple of minutes before removing from the pan. Serve warm.
Tips and Notes
This post has been sponsored by Sargento, but the opinions here are 100% mine and have not been vetted or revised by the sponsor.