With this Homemade Chicken Broth recipe make your own instead of using bouillon cubes. It is easy and you know what goes in it.
| Lee en Español |
Two years ago I asked my readers a question: “Do we really do this?”. The full question was “do we Dominicans really use sopitas (bouillon cubes) so much?”. The question came after a discussion on the subject with some online friends.
Coming from a family where cooking with natural ingredients was the norm, I rarely use industrial seasonings in my home and in the recipes I write both for our blog and for my clients.
When I started writing Dominican recipes I often did list these ingredients. A few times some people complained that my recipes were not authentic because this dish, or that other, did not contain seasonings or sopita. As time passed I came to the conclusion that a) This is our blog, I write the recipes. And b) If I wouldn’t serve something to my family, why would I “serve” it to my readers?
More homemade goodness
- Homemade tomato sauce
- Seasoning and sofrito
- Rub / seasoning powder
- Savory peanut butter
- (Agrio de Naranja) spicy sauce / spicy vinegar
About this homemade chicken broth recipe
Since we moved to another site format nearly three years ago I have been re-writing and re-shooting all our old recipes. They reflect my cooking style better (plus better pictures). They won’t be to everybody’s liking, but there never was a chance that I would please everybody.
Nowadays you see list “chicken broth” or “vegetable broth” instead of bouillon cubes. You can also buy low-sodium and low-fat broths. But, why not make it at home? Homemade chicken bone broth recipe is inexpensive (and you know that’s one of my favorite words!), it’s healthier, you know what’s in your food. Better yet, it’s easy, very easy. And you can add more or fewer ingredients as you wish. Frozen, it also has a very long shelf life. You can double, triple –or more– the recipe and have a lot pre-made for later use.
Trust me, as recipes go, this cannot get any easier. It’s just “set it and forget it”, in the immortal words of Ron Popeil.
Homemade Tomato Sauce and Chicken Broth Recipe
For the chicken broth
- 1 (1 lb [0.45 kg]) of chicken carcass
- 1 medium onion , quartered
- 1 head of garlic , peeled
- 1 sprig of oregano
- 1 bunch of parsley or cilantro
- 1 cubanelle pepper , seeded and halved
- 1 teaspoon of peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon of allspice berries (malagüeta)
- 3 qt [3 lt] of water
For the chicken broth
- Mix chicken, onion, garlic, oregano, celery, bell pepper and pepper.
- Add 2 quarts of water, cover and simmer over low heat for an hour and a half. Add more water when it becomes necessary to maintain the same level.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool down to room temperature.
- Strain and get rid of solids.
- Separate into 1 cup portions and freeze.