A filling pottage with lots of veggies, this Vegan Asopao (Rice and Garden Vegetables Pottage) is perfect to atone for days of excesses and give our bodies a rest.
This post is sponsored by Nakano®
Why we ❤️ it
Do you ever feel like your body is asking you to slow down, to take it easy? Those are the moments when a dish like this comes handy.
Sometimes instead of the traditional asopao that is heavier on our organism, I raid my potted garden for herbs (basil, spring onions, parsley) and veggies (tomatoes, green and purple okra), and along with auyama to make something like this: Beautiful, tasty, comforting, light.
About this recipe
If you are scared of the "sliminess" of okra, fear not, a touch of Mizkan All Natural Rice Vinegar fixes that, and adds a very nice, very mild vinegary flavor. All and all another very enjoyable vegan recipe.
[Recipe] Vegan Asopao (Rice and Garden Vegetables Pottage)
- 1 cup rice, (carolina, medium grain)
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon basil, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon chives, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoon Nakano All Natural Rice Vinegar
- 1 pound auyama (kabocha squash), [0.48 kg] of (West Indian Pumpkin), diced
- 1 doz cherry tomato, halved
- ½ cup sliced okra
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt, (or more, to taste)
- Soak rice: Combine rice and 2 qrt [2 lt] of water and let it rest for 10 minutes.Separate rice and liquid and set both aside for later use.
- Sauté vegetables: In a deep-bottom pot heat the oil over very low heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the garlic has turned soft and release its aroma. Stir in parsley, basil, chives. Pour in water (in which you had previously soaked the rice) and increase heat to medium-low.
- Cook rice: When the water breaks the boil, stir in rice and auyama. Simmer covered, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes.Add tomatoes, okra, and vinegar. Simmer until the vegetables are cooked through and the rice has opened (about 15 minutes). Season with salt to taste.
- Serve: This can be served alongside a few slices of avocado or some tostones.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.