Try this Cheddar Cheese Bread Rolls recipe and make these buttery and oh-so-cheesy rolls. They are going to become your next favorite bread. A decadent breakfast experience.
Why we ❤️ it
Sit down, let's have a delicious Cheddar Cheese Bread Rolls, and pour yourself a steaming cup of coffee and reminisce about our childhood, as we older people love to do.
My love for this bread goes way, way back in time, to my own childhood.
There was this bakery in the town of Navarrete that my dad swore made the best bread on that side of the island. I don't know about that, but they baked rolls of buttery, Cheddar bread that I remember very kindly. Not having the recipe made recreating it from memory quite difficult. I must say it took me about five tries until I was satisfied. I wish I had a pan for baking rolls, but since I am a cheapskate I used my muffin pan, not as pretty but they still taste good.
Another surprise is that after trying it with bread flour and later with all-purpose flour; I found that all-purpose flour worked better and produced a flakier, more "cakey" bread. Just like the one I remember.
Cheddar Cheese Bread Rolls Recipe
- ¼ teaspoon sugar (white, granulated)
- 2 tablespoon lukewarm water
- ¼ teaspoon instant yeast
- ½ cup milk (whole or skim)
- 1 egg (medium)
- ⅓ stick butter (salted), plus extra butter for greasing pan
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour, plus extra flour for dusting work surface
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¾ cup grated strong cheddar, , divided
- Dissolve sugar in warm water. Mix in the yeast and stir. Let it rest for 5 minutes, by then it should be foamy, if it isn't the yeast is too old and needs to be replaced.
- Add flour, milk, egg, butter, salt, and yeast to the mixer bowl.
- Using the kneading attachment, knead for 10 mins (the dough will be loose and shaggy).
- Add 1 ½ cup of cheddar and mix briefly.
- Cover and let it rise for 2 hours.
- Butter the muffin pan.
- Pour the dough on a clean, floured surface. Press without kneading until it has lost all the gas.
- Divide into 6 balls of equal size. Sprinkle flour as needed to prevent it from sticking to your hands.
- Place each ball into a hole of the muffin pan and let it rise for an hour in a warm, dark place.
- Pre-heat oven to 400 ºF [200 ºC].
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on rolls. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.