Much better than deep-fried, these air fryer or oven-fried potatoes are lighter, and, in my opinion, much better. They go great with roasts.
Why we ❤️ it
There aren't that many potato recipes on our blog as one might expect if we're not familiar with the Dominican cuisine. We still like fries, just like everyone else, but potatoes are underrepresented in our kitchens. Maybe you'll try this air fryer or oven-fried potatoes if you are feeling like potatoes for dinner.
Dominican potato recipes
Unlike a huge chunk of the Spanish-speaking world, Dominicans use the word papas instead of patatas to call potatoes in Spanish.
Potatoes are mostly used as an ingredient in Dominican stews and soups. It doesn’t help much that they are also considered a bland food, the ideal fare for babies, the infirm, and seniors.
Benefits of potatoes
A small serving of potatoes provides us with thiamin, dietary fiber, protein, carbohydrates, folic acid, niacin, phosphorous, magnesium, calcium, zinc, and iodine.
Potatoes also have a whopping 80% of the daily requirement of vitamin C, more potassium than that found in bananas, and more antioxidants than most vegetables. To take better advantage of the nutrition of this tuber, whenever possible the potatoes should be cooked with the skin intact so that they retain the nutrients that could be lost during cooking. The skin itself is a great source of soluble fiber.
About this recipe
There may be easier ways to roast potatoes, but I've found that to get the soft creamy center, and crispy crust of French fries, this method works wonderfully and prevents them from overdrying.
I also love that it adds some extra flavor to the potatoes, and you can experiment with other herbs and / or spices, and see what you come up with.
[Recipe] Crispy Air Frier or Oven-Fried Potato Wedges
Shop this recipe
Click on the ingredient links to buy from my Amazon affiliate shop
- Cutting: Peel the potatoes and cut into wedges (halve, then cut the halves into thirds)
- Boiling: Boil the potatoes adding the salt and the garlic to the boiling water. The potatoes should be soft but firm. Once they are tender but firm remove from water. While the potatoes are boiling, pre-heat the oven to 450 ºF [230 ºC] if you'll roast the potatoes in the oven.
- Seasoning: Mix in olive oil, dill (or rosemary) and paprika. Pour on the potatoes, add salt and pepper (half a teaspoon of each) and mix everything well until the potatoes are coated in oil and herbs. Try to keep the wedges intact.
- Oven Roasting: To cook in the oven, spread over an oil-coated or non-stick baking tray, keeping the wedges as far apart from each other as possible. Cook in the oven until the wedges are golden brown (about 20 minutes). Take them out of the oven. Serve hot.
- Air frying: To cook in the air fryer, place the potatoes in the air fryer pot, keeping the wedges as far apart from each other as possible. Cook for 16-20 mins at 400 ºF [200 ºC], or as recommended by the manufacturer. Serve hot.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.