When it comes to following recipes, measuring right is the difference between success and failure. Bookmark this Easy Guide to Measuring and Conversion, and keep at hand for when you need some help with ours and other people’s recipes.
| Lee en Español |
When it comes to following recipes, measuring right is the difference between success and failure. Bookmark this Easy Guide to Measuring and Conversion, and keep at hand for when you need some help with ours and other people's recipes.
Cup, tablespoon, pinch? Baffling? Although the whole idea behind our site is to keep cooking very easy and we try to use odd measurements the least possible, we still have to use some to maintain the correct proportion of the ingredients. Above all we want you to trust your common sense, measuring is essential, but your instinct and taste buds are still more important than your measuring cups and spoons.
- Small quantities should always be measured more carefully than large quantities.
- Do not pack the dry ingredients when measuring, just pour into the measuring cup/spoon to the desired measurement. Level off the ingredients.
- To measure liquids, put the measuring cup on a flat surface and pour to the desired level.
- A pinch is obviously a subjective measurement, you should definitely use your instinct and taste buds here.
- Celsius to Fahrenheit [°F = (1.8 x °C) + 32]
- Fahrenheit to Celsius [°C = (°F - 32)/1.8]
- Low temperature: Approx. 150 °C (302 °F)
- Medium temperature: Approx. 250 °C (482 °F)
- High temperature: Approx. 350 °C (632 °F)
- 100 °C = 212 °F
- 0 °C = 32 °F
Weight and volume
- 1 kg = 2.2 lbs
- 1 lb = 0.45 kg
- 1 lb = 16 oz
- 1 cup = 8 fl oz
- 1 teaspoon = ⅓ tablespoon
- To convert kilograms into pounds multiply by 2.21
- To convert pounds into kilograms multiply by 0.45
- To convert gallons into liters multiply by 0.79
- To convert liters into gallons multiply by 0.26
- 1 cup of soft butter = ½ lb. = 227 gr.
- 1 stick of butter = ¼ lb. = ½ cup
- 1 lb. of butter = 2 cups
- 1 lb. of granulated sugar = 3 ½ cups = 454 gr.
- 1 cup of granulated sugar = 0.29 lbs.
- 1 lb. of brown sugar = 2 ½ cups = 454 gr.
- 1 cup of brown sugar = 0.4 lbs.
- 1 lb. of flour = 4 cups = 454 gr.
- 1 cup of brown sugar = 0.25 lbs.
- 1 lb. of dry beans yields 6 cups of boiled beans.
- 1 cup of boiled beans = ⅙ lb of dry beans (or 2.6 oz).
- 1 cup of dry beans yields 3 cups of boiled beans.