Make the dough beforehand, you'll always have something great to serve children during school break, or as a school snack.
If you are looking for ideas to have snacks on hand for the kids, either to serve at home or to take to school, I bring you an idea that I have implemented at home with very good results. Because what kid doesn't like cheese?
It's like a pseudo-pizza, a great way to hide veggies, and a snack that keeps well in the lunchbox.
About this recipe
This is a very quick snack that you can prepare to take to school. Make the base for several days and store in the fridge.
A quick run in the oven or toaster, a few fresh veggies and you have a snack the kids won't bring home from school. Be sure to use vegetables that your child likes.
Whole Wheat Cheese and Veggies Tartlet
For the dough
- ¾ cup of lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of instant yeast
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour, Plus extra for kneading
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- ¼ cup Grated cheddar
- 6 slices of mozzarella
- 1 doz cherry tomatoes, , cut into quarters
- 1 bell pepper, , cut into strips(optional)
- ¼ cup of sliced pitted olives, (optional)
- ¼ cup of sweet corn, (optional)
- ¼ cup of sliced mushrooms, (optional)
- ¼ lb of sliced turkey ham, , cut into pieces
- Proof: Mix sugar, warm water, and yeast. Mix well.Cover with a clean cloth and let stand for 10 minutes. If the yeast is good, a foam will form.
- Make the dough: Sift the flour with the salt to mix. Mix flour, water with yeast, and olive oil. Add the grated cheddar.Pour onto a clean, lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
- Rise: Place in a clean oiled bowl and cover with a clean cloth. Let stand for one hour.
- Roll out: After one hour, pour onto a clean floured surface.Roll out with a rolling pin and cut into squares approximately the size of the cheese slices.
- Bake: Heat the oven to 175 ºC [350 ºF]. Bake in the oven for 7 minutes. Do not let it brown.
- Store: Let cool and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Assemble: Top with a slice of cheese, tomato ,and any of the other ingredients listed.
- Toast: Take to the oven or toaster oven until the cheese melts or browns, whichever you prefer. Remove from oven.