Make the dough beforehand, you'll always have something great to serve children during school break, or as a school snack.
If you are looking for ideas to have snacks on hand for the kids, either to serve at home or to take to school, I bring you an idea that I have implemented at home with very good results. Because what kid doesn't like cheese?
It's like a pseudo-pizza, a great way to hide veggies, and a snack that keeps well in the lunchbox.
About this recipe
This is a very quick snack that you can prepare to take to school. Make the base for several days and store in the fridge.
A quick run in the oven or toaster, a few fresh veggies and you have a snack the kids won't bring home from school. Be sure to use vegetables that your child likes.
Whole Wheat Cheese and Veggies Tartlet
For the dough
- ¾ cup of lukewarm water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon of instant yeast
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour, Plus extra for kneading
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ cup Grated cheddar
- 6 slices of mozzarella
- 1 doz cherry tomatoes, , cut into quarters
- 1 bell pepper, , cut into strips(optional)
- ¼ cup of sliced pitted olives, (optional)
- ¼ cup sweet corn, (optional)
- ¼ cup of sliced mushrooms, (optional)
- ¼ pound of sliced turkey ham, , cut into pieces
- Proof: Mix sugar, warm water, and yeast. Mix well.Cover with a clean cloth and let stand for 10 minutes. If the yeast is good, a foam will form.
- Make the dough: Sift the flour with the salt to mix. Mix flour, water with yeast, and olive oil. Add the grated cheddar.Pour onto a clean, lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes.
- Rise: Place in a clean oiled bowl and cover with a clean cloth. Let stand for one hour.
- Roll out: After one hour, pour onto a clean floured surface.Roll out with a rolling pin and cut into squares approximately the size of the cheese slices.
- Bake: Heat the oven to 175 ºC [350 ºF]. Bake in the oven for 7 minutes. Do not let it brown.
- Store: Let cool and store in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Assemble: Top with a slice of cheese, tomato ,and any of the other ingredients listed.
- Toast: Take to the oven or toaster oven until the cheese melts or browns, whichever you prefer. Remove from oven.
Tips and Notes
Nutritional information is calculated automatically based on ingredients listed. Please consult your doctor if you need precise nutritional information.