I love, love these delicious triples (triple-layered mini-sandwiches). They are perfect for parties and get-togethers.
I’m sure I’m not alone when I say that entertaining can sometimes be a stressing proposition: picking the right dishes, food preparation, hiring a brass band… OK, forget about that last one.
But having guests over need not be a big production.
One thing I learned over the years is that, the host(ess) too is supposed to enjoy the occasion — what’s the point if not?
So I have my to-go dishes that are perfect for entertaining: They look refined but with a minimum of effort. Really, look at those cute mini-sandwiches. This doesn’t get any easier.
Make them bigger to keep your hosts from starving while the main course is
burning in the kitchen cooking, or make them into these dainty little towers for a more refined setting. Nobody will notice the humble provenance of the ingredients.
Have fun, relax, you are supposed to invite only friends to your home. Friends help friends clear the table, and won’t complain if the food was
charred slightly overcooked.
- 3 hard-boiled eggs
- 1 small purple onion
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon of salt (or more, to taste)
- 1 ripe avocados
- ½ teaspoon of vinegar
- 6 slices of bread
- 2 doz pitted olives (optional)
- Mash the eggs with a fork. Set aside.
- Chop the onion and the pepper and the tomatoes (get rid of the seeds) into very small cubes.
- Mix the eggs, mayonnaise, onion, bell pepper, and tomatoes.
- Season with salt to taste. Set aside.
- Mash the avocados with a fork, but not so much it turns into a paste.
- Mix with the vinegar. Season with salt to taste.
- Put 4 tablespoons of the egg mix on top of a slice of bread,
- Cover with another slice. Put another 4 teaspoons of the avocado mixture on top of the second bread slice and cover with a third.
- Repeat with the rest of the bread.
- Refrigerate covered with saran wrap for 20 minutes. With a very sharp bread knife, cut the crust, then divide each sandwich into 4 triangles, or 4 small squares.
- Garnish with olives. Serve immediately.