There is an enormous variety of pumpkins, but in the Dominican Republic the best known is the auyama (West Indian pumpkin). A vegetable that has many uses in our cuisine: from desserts to rice dishes, from food coloring to filler in stews.
This is a less-common presentation, but no less delicious.
Auyama is recommended as baby food in our country. It is also a good food for people recovering from some illnesses and as a root vegetable substitute for diabetics.
In this presentation the natural sweetness of the auyama is perfect for a dessert dish. The combination of cinnamon and raisins enhance its delicate flavor.
And to garnish there are limitless options: fruits, cream and fruit sauces. I served this with a delicious spiced-guava sauce.
If you wish to try this sauce, our sponsor Fair Harvest sells this fantastic sauce with all the flavors of our island. Thanks to Eva for sending me a sample (no commitment), I loved it and I am surprising her today with this serving idea.
This egg-free flan de auyama (pumpkin pudding) is almost fool-proof, requires no fancy preparation or ingredients, and it tastes heavenly.
You have to try it.
- 1 teaspoon of butter (to grease the mold)
- 2 lb [0.9 kg] of auyama (West Indian pumpkin) cabocha, or gem squash, peeled
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 5 tablespoons of corn starch
- 1 cup of sugar
- 6 cups of evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- ½ cup of raisins
- Grease a 1 qt [1 lt] flan mold with butter.
- Cut the squash into small pieces. Boil the gem squash with salt and the cinnamon sticks until it is tender. Remove from the water and let it cool down to room temperature.
- In a blender mix the squash, corn starch, sugar, milk, cinnamon. Pour into a pot and add the raisins and pour into a deep pot. Cook over medium heat stirring constantly to prevent it from sticking to the pot and burning.
- When the mixture has turned thick enough to stick to the spoon, and has the consistency of thick yogurt (about 10 minutes) remove from the heat. Pour the mixture into the mold and chill for about 2 hours before removing from the mold.
- Garnish with cream, fruits or fruit sauce.