Let me start by warning you that liver is verboten in this home, I even had to wait until my husband was out of the country to test this recipe. Since I needed some “testers”, I drafted Lucas (Aunt Ilana’s 10-year old son) and Nadia (my five-year old).
They ate it all, and if you get two kids to eat a plateful of liver it had to have been seriously good.
Liver seems to be an acquired taste, but if your are in the "like it" camp" then you will certainly like this version. It is easy to prepare, and very quick.
- 2 lbs of liver
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1/2 tablespoon of crushed garlic
- 2 large onions cut into rings
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- Cut the liver into thin slices (it helps if the liver is partially frozen).
- Season the liver with garlic, a pinch of salt, and a pinch of pepper.
- In a pot heat the oil, cook and stir the liver until it changes colors on both sides (about 1 minute).
- Add the peppers, and onions. Cook and stir for 3 minutes or until onion becomes transparent.
- Add a half cup of water and cook over high heat for 3 more minutes.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
The trick to liver that is tender is to cook it the bare minimum. Excess heat will turn it into a rubbery mess.