I love soups. There is something comforting, soothing, heart-warming in a bowl of warm soup. Frankly, few foods have this effect on me.
When I am sad, down, when life seems to be going in the wrong direction, I drown my sorrows in a bowl of soup. When I don’t feel well, when my body resents the use and abuse of everyday life, I find nourishment in one of my favorite soups.
Another great thing about soups is that they normally require little time and effort, because some days I don’t feel like spending a lot of time in the kitchen.
Soup is the closest to “fast food” I get. And they are usually light, so its eating without the guilt.
And I love carrots!
Hardly a day goes by that I don’t have carrots in my diet. It appears in soups, stews, rice, vegetable dishes and meat. Whatever nutrients there are in carrots, I am sure I am not missing them. Perhaps carrots are responsible for my healthy, orangey glow.
I am kidding.
Light, comforting, vegan and simple: a little something to please everybody. This is perfect for those lazy days when we just want a little something with the least possible effort.
- 1 lb of carrots
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 qrt of low-salt, or homemade vegetable broth
- 1/2 tablespoon of chopped curly parsley
- 1/3 teaspoon of nutmeg powder
- Heat the oven to 300 ºF (150 ºC).
- If the carrots are small scrub and wash them clean with a vegetable brush. If they are not, peel them and cut them into strips.
- Place the carrots on a baking pan. Drizzle with a tablespoon of oil, a pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper.
- Bake the carrots for 15 minutes, or until they are tender.
- In the meantime, Heat the remaining oil in a pan.
- Add the onions and cook over very low heat, stirring frequently until the onions turn transparent.
- Mix the onions, nutmeg, carrots, and the broth in the blender vase. Blend until they are dissolved.
- Pour into a pot, add the parsley. Boil until it has reduced to 3/4 of the original volume.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve warm.